1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hopper remote

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by bigdog9586, Apr 19, 2012.

1. bigdog9586

bigdog9586 Legend

Jan 17, 2008
    Does anyone know if they make a remote that is lighted for the hopper?

2. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Dish doesn't make one. But any universal will work fine. The Xsight 12G and Harmony 650 are good backlit univeral remotes that aren't too expensive. On the really cheap end, the URC WR7 isn't bad either. My personal favorite is the Xsight for its layout, larger number of devices, macro capabilities and low price.

3. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    You mentioned macros with this remote and I wondered if it had the capability of recording a macro to turn on and off Closed Captioning on Dish receivers?
    I also have a 622 and a 722 side by side on my shelf and one has Remote address 1 and the other has remote address 3. Would it be possible to set up the arrx12 to handle both?

I have an old RS 8 in 1 that can do it but it has limited memory and runs out real quick when I try to do more than a few things so still looking for something better.

4. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Yes, I have a closed caption macro on mine that works perfectly. For address 3, you'll have to learn all the commands. Your RS can be programmed with a JP1 cable and free up a lot of memory, as well as make that captions macro.

5. Grandude

Oct 21, 2004
    Thanks for the info.
    I have succeeded in programming the RS to work 99% without JP1 but will look into that.
    My thought was to get the Xsight 12G as it would do even more than the RS. Had been using Harmony(s) but one broke and the other gone flakey. Don't want to spend a lot of cash for another Harmony and hadn't figured out how to set up a macro on it anyway.

Just wish Dish would add a one button push for switching CC on and off. Are they getting closer to that with the Hopper/Joeys?

6. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    My 722 CC macro was around 11 steps, and Hopper is only 6, so that's progress I guess. Both are still too long for any harmony to handle without great difficulty. I don't understand why no provider will give us a discrete CC command.

7. Grandude

Oct 21, 2004
    Thought I would report back that I bought the AR Xsight 12G and after a few stumbles I managed to get it to control everything and run a CC macro on both my 622 and 722 (using the learning function which really worked nice).
    The old RS worked but was really clunky but the Xsight is nice and slim and has lighted keys.

Thanks for pointing me to it.