1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper showing 5 tuners...

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by dstout, Dec 29, 2012.

1. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    I have Primetime Anytime set to off. Right now I am seeing 5 tuners. 4 of them are on ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC. This happened the other night. I had to do a reboot to make it go away. Is this some kind of software bug?

2. saberfly

saberfly Legend

Apr 4, 2010
    I've noticed mine too. It goes away by itself. Seems like it does it only when I am recording something during PTAT time slot on a PTAT channel. My PTAT is set to off also.

3. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    With the latest software update, if you are recording or viewing a network channel, it will display up to 6 tuners available since the local channels are fed from 1 tuner. This allows other receivers to view the different network channels but only use 1 tuner. Thanks.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    then it should be renamed as "channels" perhaps ? why confuse customers with such artificial number ? for new PR ?

5. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Ray,

The other night I was recording 2 Channels. The hopper was also showing the 4 networks channels and REFUSED to change channels. It was acting as if Primetime Anytime was activated. The only way I could switch channels was to reboot.

6. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I have seen this for several days, it seems you have to change channel on the Hopper to shut if off. I have tried it a few times on two different Joeys, but the channel would not change. However, putting one of the PTAT channels on either Hopper or Joey turns it on.

7. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    This is some kind of bug, right?

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This was mentioned at least once (because I remember reading about it) in the firmware thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=211198

It is a feature, not a bug.

The intent, as best I understand it... The same thing they used for recording PTAT during primetime for the LiLs also allowed you to watch those different channels at the same time. People asked "why can't I watch the channels like this all the time?" so Dish has now obliged.

I really don't see what kind of problem is caused by making the PTAT feature of sharing one tuner for the "big four" LiLs usable all day. It seems like a feature everyone would welcome, not something to complain about.

9. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Personally I really like the feature. Sure, there are some bugs, but what's new? Just like most of the other bugs, Dish will have them ironed out in due time.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    As a feature, this is a good addition, but it shouldn't incorrectly state "tuners".

Logically, technically and honestly it should be named DIFFERENTLY. "Streams" perhaps.

11. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Here is my situation the other night.

1. recording Nick
    2. recording Cartoon Network
    3. ABC
    4. CBS
    5. NBC
    6. Fox

I could not tune to my RSN to watch the Hawks. When I would try, it would take me to the screen showing what the tuners/streams were doing. So what did I need to do to change the channel again?

12. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Did you try joining the non-network channels with the units viewing the networks, then selecting the rsn?

13. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    nope. So I need to go to Nick, even though it was recording, and select a different channel?

14. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    From what I experienced, you need to get all the tuners off the four networks. Then the Hopper reverts back to three tuners with one being available and then can be used for what you want. It may be a new feature, but it does seem to have a bug in it.

15. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Add the USB Over the Air tuner for $30 and now you have 7 Tuners, 3 are Virtual. I have Two Hoppers in my house. I can record 14 things at once now.

16. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Wouldn't four be duplicate recordings? I would put it that you can record 11 different programs at the same time.

17. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    3 Hoppers can do 15 :p .

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    how ? records ?

19. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Hopper 1:
    2 SAT + 1 OTA + 4 PTAT

Hopper 2:
    3 SAT + 1 OTA

Hopper 3:
    3 SAT + 1 OTA

2 + 1 + 4 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 1 = 15 :)

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    oh ! I missed the number "3" ... anyone has three H ?