1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper timers - issue with max "keep" recordings limit

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by anex80, Nov 30, 2015.

1. anex80

anex80 Legend

Jul 29, 2005
    Midwest
    I just switched to the Hopper from TiVo and there is a bit of a learning curve to say the least. One issue I'm having is that when I set a recordings limit to say 5 it appears to have no effect. For instance, I set up a show to record new and reruns, keep only 5, but the DVR shows that there are 8 recorded. Shouldn't the timer stop recording episodes when the limit of 5 is reached or at least remove older episodes keeping only 5 on the DVR? I'm not sure if there is something wrong or I just don't understand the differences in this setting vs TiVo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    Why did you Switch ?
    I switched from DirecTV to the Hopper ONCE, worst mistake I ever made. I did it a while back when Dish had more HD Channels.
    Dish also Stuffs HD Channels together, making the HD picture look like 720
    Switched back and ate the early termination fee.
    The Hopper has the crazy (6 Receivers) BUT you can only record (2) of your choice. The other (4) are ONLY for the networks.
    Which leaves you ONLY (2) Receivers to watch "LIVE" TV or to RECORD on.
    If you have (3) TV, You get a Message, Receivers are in USE. 3rd TV is Dead.
    Your problem is probably another screw up with the Hopper.
    Let us know what Dish says. Just curious.

3. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    I've noticed that too. Would set up news program to only keep 3 days, since beyond that it's useless. But the Hopper just kept saving them until I cleared them at the end of the week. That brings up another gripe. No way to clear all recordings of a single program except one at a time. Would love a way to select them quickly and then delete in one step.

4. anex80

anex80 Legend

Jul 29, 2005
    Midwest
    I originally left DirecTV for Suddenlink with TiVo, mostly for pricing concerns. There were also some less popular channels that others in my family liked that were offered in HD on Suddenlink whereas Dish and DirecTV had only SD. For the most part I was happy with Suddenlink aside from some pretty frequent glitches and pixelation issues. I posted some pictures in another forum on those.

Long story short, multiple SL techs could not resolve the pictures issues and my wife never really cared for DTV so we decided to give Dish a try. So far it's been ok, but there are a lot of differences in how Dish works compared to DTV and TiVo. I'm still trying to figure it all out.

I will keep all posted on the timers issue though. I've seen it posted on other forums as well but no resolution yet.

5. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    What did your wife NOT like about DTV ?
    You are right, there are a lot of differences between the two, DTV is MUCH easier to use, and has a LOT more user friendly Features.

6. anex80

anex80 Legend

Jul 29, 2005
    Midwest
    In a nutshell, price, user interface, channel layout, whole-home functionality, and On-Demand or PPV content. She loves the hopper because it's so much "prettier", lol. I'm more of a functionality person myself. Bottom line though, I'm sure the Hopper will be fine once I get used to it. I just need to learn the nuances that make it different.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Removing old is what the receiver should be doing. Keeping the most recent five (in your case).

Highlight the program's folder then press the blue delete key. You can also go to the edit menu and select multiple titles to delete (if you do not have programs grouped by title).

8. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    Sounds like she needed some training on the Genie. "Prettier" ?? I am with you, Functionality MUCH More Important.
    Don't plan on EVER getting used to the Hopper. It doesn't happen. You will just get MADDER.