1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hopper Tuner question. How many?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by ziggy12, Feb 18, 2014.

1. ziggy12

ziggy12 New Member

Feb 18, 2014
    I'm currently with Time Warner (used to be Insight) )and have 3 TV's all with a DVR and whole house setup. That is a DVR on each TV with 2 tuners and a storage device that all shows are kept that can be accessed from any of the DVR's. This setup gives me 6 tuners. I have 3 teenage kids so the TV's get used a bunch and we record quit a bit from the non prime time networks. I was looking at dish with the hopper and 2 joeys but from what i under stand that would be 3 tuners that can be used. So if it's not recodring the 4 prime time shows i can only use three tuners to watch or record live tv? That would mean i would be giving up 3 tuners going to dish? I'm just hunting for info before i make any decisions. Am i wrong in my assumption?

Thanks

2. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    With a Hopper and a Super Joey you can have 5 tuners, 6 if you add OTA.

3. ziggy12

ziggy12 New Member

Feb 18, 2014
    Does anyone know when they will be availble? Dish tells me they have no idea when i chatted with them.

4. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    You could get two Hoppers and a joey, that would give you six tuners. Of course it would cost you an extra $5/mo over a Hopper/Joey/Joey set up, but twice as many tuners and twice as much hard-drive space just might be worth $5/mo IMO. Also looks like they do charge either $49 extra up front for an additional Hopper or $99 for an additional Hopper with Sling, of course if you have one with Sling and the whole thing is linked together anyway not sure why you'd need a 2nd one with Sling.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Has anyone heard if they are going to let people get a super Joey and two hoppers? That's be nice and very competitive to a genie and a two regular DVRs from DIRECTV.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe there is a wiring issue. The SuperJoey takes the place of the second Hopper in the wiring plan. It would be as if one had three Hoppers. (Which can be done, just not on one account. It isn't a supported installation.)

7. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    They are not allowing two Hoppers and a Super Joey, from lack of MoCA bandwidth. It was discussed at the CES.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah... that's not to say something could change... I mean a year ago we didn't even know about SuperJoeys... but right now its either 2 Hoppers OR 1 Hopper + 1 Super Joey (when available) due to the limits of their configuration.

I would opt for the 2 Hoppers in that scenario, personally... and manage the timers on the other Hopper manually so as not to duplicate recordings I have on the other... whereas the Super Joey would be integral so you manage all 5 tuners in one place. I would rather sacrifice that convenience for the extra tuner.

Also, in case it helps... the auto-recording option for prime-time can be disabled... and those "big 4" channels always work on a single tuner 24/7... so if you are recording daytime soaps or syndicated programming outside of primetime on those "big 4" channels, you still only use the 1 tuner.

9. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]Hello,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]As of Monday the Virtual Joey is available for LG 2013 Smart TV as of right now.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]We do not have the exact date as to when the Super Joey will be release but I will provide our link explaining in more detail of what it can and will do; [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]http://www.dish.com/technology/ces/?WT.svl=gsearch_results[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Thanks[/SIZE]

10. ziggy12

ziggy12 New Member

Feb 18, 2014
    Mike H.
    If i went with dish now and got a hopper and 2 joeys will they let me upgrade one of the regular joeys to a super joey when they come available? If so how much more do you think it will cost over the regular one and do you think i will have to restart my 2 year contract? I know that's a bunch of questions and you may not have the info but i thought i would ask. I just want to know what i would be getting into before i make the leap. If i do this wrong the wife will kill me. :)

Thanks

11. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium] ziggy12,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]It is hard to answer that question since they are not released yet. The best thing to do is when you signup and when they are released to message me and I will go over all available options to get you the Super Joey. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]We definitely do not want your wife mad at you; I was accidently in the dog house with my wife when I deleted her Good Wife’s series from the Hopper w/Sling.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]As more information comes available I will message this thread with any updates we can release to the public.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Thanks[/SIZE]

12. ziggy12

ziggy12 New Member

Feb 18, 2014
    Thanks for all the info.

13. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Ok. I agree, two hoppers would be better then IMHO, but ai assume it has a higher monthly cost than a super joey maybe? And I guess the unified timer setup can make a difference as well.

14. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    I have four Hoppers on one account. It requires extra switches and the third and fourth Hopper had to be purchased.

As for the Super Joey, we don't know yet if it will work with two Hoppers as it's not yet released. The SJ would almost certainly have to be purchased and with the appropriate switches it can be done. Whether or not the MoCA bandwidth is there is yet to be seen.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using DBSTalk mobile app

15. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Its been stated at Satguys that the SJ will not work with 2 Hoppers because there is not enough bandwidth.

16. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    It was hinted at CES that the Super Joey price would be between a Joey and a Hopper. Speculation is $10 a month. For me $2 more for a second Hopper is money better spent.

17. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm not so sure that 2H/1SJ absolutely won't work. Keep in mind they also stated that 3+ Hoppers couldn't be connected together but I've been doing it for nearly two years now.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using DBSTalk mobile app

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    To be fair... there's two things in play here:

1. What will work technically.

AND

2. What will Dish support.

Ex... Dish does NOT support having any other receivers connected or activated with a Hopper other than a 211 receiver... even though other receivers do technically work.

It may be possible to run 3 Hoppers and have some interconnectivity... but Dish is not supporting that. Some have said the current Joey works via ethernet but Dish does not support that.

So... even if it technically works, Dish may not support it in the field... so if you buy receivers and do it yourself, you would be on your own if you encounter problems.