1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by ctreptow, Dec 26, 2012.

1. ctreptow

ctreptow Cool Member

May 27, 2005
    Hi All

I currently have a 722 and 922 Dvr Setup. I called Dish this evening to upgrade my 722 to a Hopper with 1 Joey. To my surprise I was told that I had to upgrade both receivers to Hoppers and I had to buy a joey for each. I only have 3 Tv's and I like the 922 with dual OTA receivers.

This seems like crap. I want to keep the 922 as my main receiver and add the hopper to the basement theater and weight room....

Has anyone been able to merge a Hopper with a current non-hopper dvr system?

and is there a way around this issue?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It's either all Hopper or no Hopper... with the exception that they have allowed some Hopper accounts to have 211 receivers.

If you like your 922 you should probably stay with the 922... though that said, now that the Hopper has OTA capability... the only thing you lose by trading the 922 for a Hopper would be a Hopper can only have 1 OTA tuner... but it has 3 SAT tuners... so depending on how you use/record TV, it still can be a win w/ the PTAT feature.

3. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    The only mixed account setup you can have is a 211/211k/411 on a Hopper account for RV/Tailgater use. No other VIP or older equipment can be activated on a Hopper account.

4. Jason S@dish

Jason S@dish DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 2, 2012
    The forum is right as usual. The only receivers allowed on an account with a Hopper are 211k/211/411 series, and that is only when the 211 is in an RV or pairs with a tailgater mobile satellite.

5. ctreptow

ctreptow Cool Member

May 27, 2005
    Well that is a bummer.

The other question I have is can the hoppers talk to each other yet?

If I get 2 hoppers can each hopper play recordings off the other?

I have 3 tv's I would like setup, my toughts were to have a hopper on 2 of them and 1 Joey for the 3rd TV. The problem is Dish will only sell me 2 hoppers with 2 Joeys. If the Hoppers don't talk to each other can I use the 2 joeys on 1 hopper to feed the same TV that has a Hopper installed? I would use a secondary input for that joey?

6. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    Yes they can

7. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Hoppers can view the recordings on the other, but not much else yet. You cannot set recordings or view recordings from any attached EHD's.

8. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    EHDs are viewable from the Joeys now. Thanks.

9. ctreptow

ctreptow Cool Member

May 27, 2005
    but my last question is I am required to buy a Joey per hopper. Can I connect the 2 joeys to 1 hopper and have the other one just run my main TV?

c

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    a) not required - it's your choice
    b) yes, no issues there

11. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Great, thanks for the info.

12. BubbaD

BubbaD New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Dish will require two joeys with two hoppers. When installer gets there cancel one Joey. I just did this. I have two hoppers one Joey.

I don't know why dish makes you do this.

13. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    I take it this just happened?

14. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    I believe its been that way at least since my install which was done with S222. I'm at S234 now.

15. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    This was available a few updates ago. Thanks.