1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hopper vs Hopper w. Sling Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by neilo, Aug 23, 2013.

1. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    I scheduled an upgrade to a Hopper w. Joey in a week or so. I just received an email telling me that I'll be getting a receiver that the Hopper I am getting is a Hopper w. Sling. Looking on the Dish upgrade receiver page it looks like there is no cost difference to getting the one w. Sling. So, since there doesn't seem to be any cost difference I am wondering if there is any harm in getting this receiver w. Sling. Or should I call and tell them I want the regular Hopper?

Thanks,

Neil

2. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Definitely get the one with Sling. It's faster and more capable.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011

4. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    My appointment for getting it installed is not until September 4, so I won't know until after that.

5. Sep 4, 2013 #5 of 12
    neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    Just had the installation this morning. There were a couple shows that I had to sacrifice due to getting rid of the old DVR, but at least one of them is available On Demand, so it looks like I won't be missing out on at least that one. I tried one On Demand title just now and it looked pretty nice.

My wife has a Kindle Fire so we'll have to see whether she can get the Sling part working with that sometime.

6. Sep 6, 2013 #6 of 12
    Revrick

Revrick New Member

Sep 5, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    Allstar
    Let me know how you get the Dish Anywhere on Kindle Fire
    Thanks

Rick

7. Sep 9, 2013 #7 of 12
    Ramer84015

Ramer84015 Mentor

Sep 24, 2006
    Can someone tell me what it costs to upgrade from Hopper to Hopper w/Sling? I read 1 post in the forum that said it was $15 (s&h) and when I called customer service (India) I was told $250. I've PM'd 2 DIRT members over the last couple of days, but haven't gotten a response as yet.

8. Sep 9, 2013 #8 of 12
    thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    DIRT folks are your best choice to get the correct answer.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ramer84015

Ramer84015 Mentor

Sep 24, 2006
    Thanks, I'll continue to wait for a response from DIRT. :)

10. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    You need another android device besides the Kindle. Then sideload the app using the instruction here: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/11/kindle-fire-sideload/

I did this and the app works fine on the Kindle Fire.

11. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    I now have an Android tablet and the new Dish Anywhere App now supports transfers. I tried to do a transfer today but it took much longer than anticipated and I gave up. Is it actually going up to the internet and back down or is it going directly through my router? When I try to stream I get variable results in the house and sometimes it does complain that my connection is too slow. Should I be looking for a new router or is it just getting bogged down by using Comcast or is something else going on?

12. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    One nice thing with the Dish Anywhere App is using the watch Live TV to listen to the Sirius channels. While my connection might not always be good enough for video everywhere in the house, It seems strong enough to listen to Sirius.