1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hopper w/ sling - Joey Issue

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by ahsfds, Apr 25, 2013.

1. ahsfds

ahsfds New Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if you if anyone has any advice to fix it:

Had Dish install a hopper and 2 joeys about a month ago. When we signed up the tech was supposed to bring a hopper w/ sling but he ran out. so I called DISH and they sent me one. I followed all instructions in the box with the hopper w/sling and I was off and running, well kind of. With my original hopper I was able to turn off the main TV that has the hopper hooked up to it and still be able watch TV with no problems on my joeys. When I got the Hopper w/sling, when I turn off the main TV that has the Hopper w/sling hooked up to it, the joeys will stop working (e.g. the menu screen will delay in coming up for 5 to 10 seconds when I hit the menu button and the picture will freeze and the joey will be trying to locate the hopper). If I turn on the main TV that has the hopper w/sling the joeys will work again sometimes. Sometimes I have to reset the hopper w/sling before everything is working again. I had a tech out here and they worked on it for a while but couldn’t figure it out. I really don’t want to leave on my main TV all night if I want to watch something on a joey in another room.

I am running S309 on the hopper w/sling and S292 on my Joey

Any advice would be great.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Are you sure you hooked up everything the way that it was before? I can't think of any reason why your TV being on would make a difference to the Joeys. It could be a sign of a problem with your new Hopper if everything is cabled correctly.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
  4. ahsfds

ahsfds New Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I checked all my cables and took a look at the pdf's everything is hooked exactly the way it should be. Should of kept the original hopper. Maybe if I reset the joeys and see if that works

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    reset all - disconnect power from H and J and Solo node, then turn on Node, H then Js

6. ahsfds

ahsfds New Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Disconnected everything, restarted everything in order and still no change. Need to call DISH again and see if they need to replace the units, if that will fix the problem.

Thanks for helping me out with this.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    don't forget to post your outcome ...

8. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    OK, I have to ask the obvious. When you're turning off the TV you just mean pressing the power button right? Not flipping the switch on a surge protector or something to keep power consumption down? Also, is it when you turn the TV off, or turn the Hopper off? What brand of TV is it?

9. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    Is there a setting for HDMI to control devices that can be enabled or disabled on the TV or the Hopper?

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    so far using two cable HDMIDVI and DVI-HDMI, connected together would stop CEC cmds

11. ahsfds

ahsfds New Member

Apr 25, 2013
    yes I am turning the TV off using the small button on the dish remote control that says "TV". I have also stopped using the remote and just turning the TV off on the TV itself. I have not been turning off the the surge protector at all. The joeys will stop working when I turn off the main TV that has the hopper hooked up to it. When I turn the TV off, the hopper still has the green power button on. I have a JVC 42 inch LCD TV I am using right now.

12. ahsfds

ahsfds New Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I will. i have the tech coming out on Thrusday of this week to take another look at this.

13. ahsfds

ahsfds New Member

Apr 25, 2013
    There is nothing on the TV or hopper. I have ran into this same issue with my xbox360 on another TV. If i turn xbox 360 on and not the tv the xbox 360 will not power up until the TV is on.

14. ahsfds

ahsfds New Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I will try this before the tech comes out. Thanks for the advice

15. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Yeah I gotta go with something funny with the CEC commands.

16. ahsfds

ahsfds New Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I will need to try the hdmi-dvi dvi-hdmi cable. Checked the TV and moved the hdmi to other ports on the TV and still the same thing. I didn't see anything on the hopper to mess with cec commands. I looked all over the Internet to find cec commands for my tv or a service code that would get me access to disable the cec commands on the tv but nothing. It is weird how the orginial hopper didn't have the issue with my tv and cec commands but the new hopper with sling does.

17. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    I believe the CEC issues should be resolved with the next update.

18. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    Make sure it is not in partial zoom. This is a know issue.

19. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I have heard that some surge protectors are sensitive to whether the TV is on or off.

When you turn off the TV , the surge protector powers down the whole circuit, see if that is what is happening.

20. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    Do you have a Sony tv?