1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hopper w/sling upgrade vs sling adapter-best option

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by TxDave, Apr 28, 2013.

1. TxDave

TxDave Mentor

Mar 28, 2006
    Hello all, I currently have 2 hoppers and 3 joeys and I am considering upgrading by either swapping out 1 hopper for a hopper w/sling or adding a sling adapter. Which option would be most cost efffective, and any opinions on how much better if any that the hopper w/sling built in works. Are ther any other advantages to one over the other. Thanks for any input

2. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    I have both a Hopper/w Sling and a regular Hopper with Sling Adapter. Generally speaking, I have not been able to notice a difference in streaming performance thru the Dish Anywhere app. The one major difference (if this matters to you) is that the Sling Adapter does not seem to have an audio only function whereas the Hopper/w Sling does. I use this at work to listen to various news channels on my Iphone.

3. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    Adding the Sling Adapter will not give you the Hopper Transfers feature that the Hopper with Sling has (transferring recordings to an ipad).

4. TxDave

TxDave Mentor

Mar 28, 2006
    Thanks for the info. The ipad features are a big part of what i'm wanting, so I guess the hopper/sling would be best. I'll have to get one of the dirt people to check on the cost of the upgrade.

5. phatal

phatal Cool Member

May 15, 2006
    Also, the Hopper with Sling is a faster machine (1.3Ghz processor vs. 750Mhz processor, 2GB RAM vs. 768MB). I recently upgraded both of my Hoppers to Hoppers with Sling and there is a noticiable improvement in their response to commands and use of the guide. I would expect the many things I cannot measure are being processed faster.

FYI - http://www.connectyourhome.com/dish-network/dish-hopper-and-joey-technical-specs/

6. rpotts

rpotts Cool Member

Feb 7, 2003
    I converted my hopper with external sling to a built in hopper with Sling - upgrade fee - cost $100 and had to commit to another 2 years. (Probably only 6 more months than my previous committment...)

7. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    Has anyone assisted you will the Hopper w/Sling upgrade? Please PM me your account number and verify your 4 digit PIN number on your account if you have not been helped. Please let me know. Thanks.