1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horizontal line distortion

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by UT_Texan, Jan 13, 2005.

1. UT_Texan

UT_Texan Mentor/Supporter

Dec 9, 2004
    I first noticed this problem on mainly nick channels. I think because the kid watches the TV more than me. Anyhow then I noticed on a couple of other channels in SD. Then I saw it on one of my OTA channels. It is recorded so I know that it isn't a cable or connection issue. I am including pic of it. There is a bug report and here is the link.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=36353&highlight=horizontal+line

It is getting annoying and I have done reboots, etc but I can't seem to get rid of it.

Could it be defect in the unit or is it just software. If it is hardware then I definitely want to get it replaced asap.

thanks
    Hook'em

Attached Files:

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    It's hard to see in that picture - is the distortion all the way across the picture?

What is your output resolution set at, and how are you connected to your display device? What is your display device?

3. UT_Texan

Dec 9, 2004
    Yes It goes all the way across the screen. Resolution is 1080i. The TV is Philips 60in HDTV and is connected via a component/HD15(VGA) cable. That info was in my signature. Is that not what you are wanting? The distortion is always towards the bottom and is random in its width and how many distortion lines it has.
    thanks

4. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Sorry about that UT - was reading through very fast today, and missed your signature.

I think you're heading for a replacement. I'm going to have my engineering contact take a look at this thread and at your picture and get back to me on it.

5. UT_Texan

Dec 9, 2004
    Not a problem! easily understood! thanks for your help

I got a few more picks not sure if they help but the distortion is very random. I wish it could be brighter but the flash gets in the way. I am going to try a different cable connection but I don't think that is the problem because I can rewind the dvr and play the distortion over and over. It is weird though because you can see in these pics the distortion is over the time the show has been paused.

Attached Files:

6. UT_Texan

Dec 9, 2004
    changing cable and the input on the tv didn't fix the problem

thanks

7. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Dish has had some reports of 921s and 811s not working well with certain models of Philips televisions. They're currently working with Philips.

But, I'd like you to answer these questions for me:

1. Do you see the distortion on the SD ouputs (svideo, composite, RF)?

2. Do you see the distortion when outputting 480p?

3. Connect your 921 via straight component cables, rather than converting to VGA. Do you see the distortion still?

4. Does changing channels, then changing back help?

5. Have you tried both front panel rebooting and pulling the plug?

6. If you have to convert to VGA for your television, have you tried a DVI to VGA dongle, rather than going component to VGA?

8. UT_Texan

Dec 9, 2004
    Answers:
    1: No
    2: No
    3: Yes on 1080i
    4: No. The distortion isn't constant it is very random in width and the time length the distortion appears. It is as if it is in 1-2 second bursts.
    5: Yes tried both
    6: I did but the DVI-I to HD15(vga) adapter wouldn't convert the 1080i signal so I didn't try and get a different one.

It doesn't do it in normal mode but the distortion does occur in gray bars, stretch and zoom mode. Stretch is my preferred viewing. I noticed in the gray bars mode the distortion does go across the gray bars as well.

9. UT_Texan

Dec 9, 2004
    Mark, do you know if this issue is still being worked on for the next release? I still have the jitter problem as well. the jitters really is only a problem when an image goes from full screen to a n original widescreen format. It is like it has problems synching

10. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    This (the Philips problem, not the jitter) is the same issue I reported MANY months ago and NEVER received ANY kind of response. I suspect it's in the same black hole as several other old bugs that have never been addressed.

I see it mostly when there's a lot of "white" or high-brightness on the screen. Rarely in "Normal" mode for SD - much more so in GrayBar mode.

To answer Mark's questions:
    1. No, but I get green flashes at random times - so often as to make it unusable. That is NOT a Philips problem, as the flashes will record to VCR, and also appear on other monitors.
    2. Never tried.
    3. Yes.
    4. No. And the problem is 100% reproducible via rewind.
    5. Of course - this has been going on since the beginning.
    6. N/A.

11. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I know that the Philips problem was being worked on with Philips, but don't have any additional information about it.

12. UT_Texan

Dec 9, 2004
    Can you get more info. This is really fustrating as is all the annoyances we put up with. I would like to know if they are committed to fixing it. I would like to help where ever I can

13. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Request for info sent, Texan.

14. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Mark: Please let me know, too.

15. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I will just as soon as I hear anything back.

16. Anthony Falcone

Anthony Falcone AllStar

Dec 19, 2003
    Tex,

I see you quoted my thread about the problem I was having but I haven't been to the forum in a while, so just to update:

Dish ultimately replaced my 921 after verifying that there was a problem with the SD tuner section . I was very pleased with the service I received from Dish; they sent me a new unit within 2 days and even called me a few days later to be sure that the problem was rectified ( it was ) .

The problem that I was having sounds a bit different than yours though . The line was present ONLY on SD . No problems with the new unit at all .

17. UT_Texan

Dec 9, 2004
    Mark/Allen,

Any update on this Philips issue?

18. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I have no information or idea about this one.

19. Indydave

Indydave Cool Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Mark,

Last week, tech support asked that I remove my DVI cable and install component cables.

After doing this, I have also seen a similar horizontal line problem. In SD mode I occasionally have 2 horizontal lines across the whole screen. They are about 1/3 and 2/3 of the way down the screen. It appears that the reassemble of the picture is in 3 horizontal parts and the middle is shifted to the left.

I have also seen a jittering problem that looks like horizontal sync lose on the first few lines at the top of the screen.

I have not seen this problem with the DVI output.

TV: Pioneer Elite PRO-530HDi

20. UT_Texan

Dec 9, 2004

Well,
    what can I do to get information on this. It really sucks.