1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horrible install today

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by BuffaloDenny, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    This is the letter I wrote to the president of the subcontractor, which was provided as part of the install soliciting feedback. We'll see if it helps. Let me know if I was inaccurate there anywhere.

Hello,

First of all, let me thank you for this avenue to provide feedback. It's not often you can find such a direct method to allow customers to share their experiences. I did want to write to share my disappointment in the installation provided today.

The intallation got off to a bad start when he told me he could not install the new dish where my current dish was, on a chimney. He told me I needed a custom install, to install the dish on a setting secured by some mortars. I reluctantly agreed and handed him a personal check for $106.67. I was later notified by my neighbor his satellite went out. It appears the installer was going to run my wires to his dish, which was the same slimline dish and was currently set up in the same customized way. After that was resolved, I later came up to the roof to see the dish mounted to the chimney. I asked if that was still considered a custom install, which he said no. When I asked him for my check, he could not produce it. He said he would get it to me later. When I aksed him for it again before he left, he said the "wind blew it out of my pocket."

My main point of contention centers around OTA. I have an OTA antenna already installed next (not attached) to my existing dish, and when I ordered the HR20 and 5 lnb dish from DirecTV, I specifically made it a point to include in the work order that OTA be connected to my new receiver, which was simply being swapped out from the previous HD DVR, the HR10-250. According to DirecTV, this is supposed to be included as part of the basic install.

I reiterated how important this portion of the install was to me several times with the installer. He tried to talk me out of it, as DirecTV provided local HD channels through their satellite. I understand that, but with OTA I get more channels as well as the network sub-channels, I feel the quality of HD programming is better OTA because DirecTV has been downrezzing their signal, and OTA also provides a nice backup when satellite goes out.

The installation took over 6 hours, and the installer did not even have to run any cables. He continually implied I would be getting my OTA hooked up along with the satellite. However, after unnecesarily moving the antenna which took it totally out of alignment, he took his ladder with him even after I suggested the OTA would need to be pointed accurately again. He just said we'll figure something out and continued putting his ladder away, which told me we weren't going to get it figured out. While setting up the receiver, I noticed he hooked the existing cable runs into the satellite inputs on the receiver, while neglecting the antenna input, which had previously been connected via one of the existing cables. He obviously never intended to hook up OTA, as there was not enough cable.

Finally, the last hour or so was spent trying to set up the receiver, which ended up needing a replacement. The previous box was re-installed, but now I am stuck without any locals in HD because of what was done to the OTA antenna and no attempt to fix it.

I feel slighted that he took away something I had before he arrived, and assured me that I would be able to retain. I feel he did not want to perform the necessary work, nor did he want to correct his mistake, but that's just my opinion based on his demeanor and attitude.

I will of course be taking this up with DirecTV to see if I can't get this resolved satisfactorily, but since you provided this opportunity to provide feedback, I thought I would. I've been with DirecTV for over 10 years, and have been through many installs. Some good, some bad, and some in between. I was fearful of making this upgrade to the new HR20 receiver mainly due to getting an installer who understands the importance of HD and the particulars involved in that kind of a setup. Unfortunately, those fears were realized today.

I would be happy to speak with anyone who may want to discuss in more detail. DirecTV is setting up another installation, and my wish is for my next install with the replacement box to be done with an expert installer, to include everything done correctly. I had asked for a backup box to be brought along in this work order, and I also asked for OTA on the order, as well as all the right connections to ensure I receive all the new HD channels, so I hope this can be done next time around. At the end of the day, I spent my Saturday getting nothing for it, and in fact losing something I previously had.

Thank you for hearing me out,

2. pdxBeav

pdxBeav Godfather

Jul 5, 2007
    The first thing I would do is stop payment on the check since he "lost" it. I would be interested to hear how this works out. Please keep us posted.

3. Goober

Goober Cool Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Exactly what I was thinking. I'd do it 1st thing Monday AM too, considering a lot of banks make electronic transfers via automated clearing house now (i.e. no wait time for their bank to mail it to your bank). I know you really wanted the service, but I'd have stopped the job right then and had them back out with someone who wasn't trying to do the least amount of work while taking you for a ride.

Here's hoping you get some satisfaction from the company and get a "real" installer next time.

4. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    I doubt the installation company cares. Call DirecTV and get a credit for the check you wrote the guy.

5. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Actually, I was quite surprised at the response of the installation company. After I emailed the president, I got a call from his regional manager literally minutes later. I gotta give them props, they turned the situation around and made me a pretty happy camper. Here's what they offered:

1. Free 2nd HD receiver (I chose the H20, but could've had the HR20). I didn't even plan on setting up 2 receivers. I only had 1 receiver, and this was originally just a one for one swap.
    2. Reimbursed for the check I wrote. Some will go towards stop payment.
    3. Next day "give him what he wants" install. Got OTA set up correctly, 2nd receiver install, cleaned up the previous mess, nice clean cable runs. This was on a Sunday, and they had a supervisor on site to oversee.

Yes, I did tip them, but this guy worked hard, fast and professionally. This company really did exceed my expectations and made everything right.

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Glad it all worked out, enjoy your new equipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.