1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

"Hot Shot" Dish Heater installation questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by TBlazer07, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Oct 1, 2010 #1 of 11
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    It's that time of the year again. :) I read the old posts (2-3yrs old) on the subject and pretty much decided on the "Hot Shot" model. I had mistakenly ordered an "Ice Zapper" (1/2 the price) but won't be using that because it is 110VAC. The "Hot Shot" runs off a low voltage power supply which is both safer and easier to install (I have no 110V outlet anywhere near the dish location and don't want to run an 80' extension cord from my roof).

Anyway, 2 basic questions:

#1) It looks like the dish (reflector?) itself can easily be removed without disturbing the LNB arm or any of the alignment by simply removing the 4 bolts that holds the dish to the AZ-EL mount. Is this correct?

#2) Regarding the "Hot Shot" itself. The manual states it can be installed on the front or the back of the dish. Which is better? I would think the back. Is this a correct assumption?

#3) Do these things stay "stuck on" to the dish? It seems it is held with 3M sticky tape.

NO, I do not want to "build my own" from pipe heating coils or whatever (I have read those threads too). :)

2. Oct 1, 2010 #2 of 11
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    #1) I just looked at my ground pole mounted dish and it does look like the reflector can be removed without disturbing the alignment. But, I'd be careful, especially if you're doing this on the roof.

No idea on your other questions. When I do get a snow build up, I just go out my basement door and wipe it off. :)

3. Oct 1, 2010 #3 of 11
    tuff bob

tuff bob Icon

Mar 4, 2007
    That's how I did it, though I had an installer actually take the dish off as I'm scared of heights and he was there if there was an alignment issue, but there was not;

I *think* the instructions say the front is preferable, but I didn't like that idea so I used the back and have had no problems with the dish surface staying clear

There are some instructions on how to prepare the dish for the application of the hot shot, again I've had no problems with the heater coming off the dish, I think this year will make it the 3rd season of the heater.

4. Oct 1, 2010 #4 of 11
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Thanks for the info. My dish is located on a low virtually FLAT roof covering the patio so access to it is no problem.

I think they recommend the front so you wouldn't have to remove the reflector.

Last year I used a garden hose attached to my laundry room sink to shoot hot water through the kitchen window at the dish. Worked well but was a drippy mess and very cold, windy & snowy when opening the window. :) This would be just a convenience luxury to save the hassle although if I do get it probably won't snow .... :)

5. Oct 1, 2010 #5 of 11
    tuff bob

tuff bob Icon

Mar 4, 2007
  6. Oct 1, 2010 #6 of 11
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Thanks. That thread didn't show up in my search. You should change the title of it to "dish heaters."

It answered all my q's! :)

7. Oct 6, 2010 #7 of 11
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Just got and installed the "HotShot" dish heater.

Very simple install. Easily removed the dish reflector (4 small bolts) without disturbing the LNB arm, took it down and washed it off with a hose then some cleaner. Brought it in the house and put it under a heater and warmed it up to get it warm so the "heater" would stick well. Stuck it on (it will NEVER EVER COME OFF!) the BACK of the reflector (you can install it on the front without removing the reflector but the back is the preferred method and sticking it on the dish while it is mounted could lead to killing the alignment). The "sticky stuff" on the heater is virtually permanent especially if the dish and the "heater" are warmed up prior to install. Put it back up on the mount and was all done in less than 30 minutes.

I was lucky because my dish is on a large low, flat, patio roof so there was no danger of falling off while working on it. The biggest amount of work was running the DC cable into the house although I already had "pull cables" so it wasn't too bad. It blends in with the back of the dish and is barely visible.

Now it probably won't snow at all this winter. Thanks to "tuff bob" for his encouragement. :lol:

8. Oct 7, 2010 #8 of 11
    Phil T

Phil T DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I ordered a Hot Shot Slimline and hope to get it next week. Thanks for the posting of your install experience. I have a flat roof also so the install should be easy. I had to go on the roof 3 times last year to clear snow and I am getting to old to do that!!!

9. Oct 7, 2010 #9 of 11
    tuff bob

tuff bob Icon

Mar 4, 2007
    Even if doesn't snow, I find the reaction of people when I tell them I have a heater on my dish is a lot of fun :lol:

10. Phil T

Phil T DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I ordered my Slimline Hot Shot from Sat-Pro on Monday and got it on Thursday. Price was $136.00 including shipping. The install was very simple and took me (a very non- professional) about two hours. I am looking forward to the first big snow dump to test it out!

11. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I agree ... easy install (especially if you have easy access to the dish).

The only minor "issue" I have is that there is no way to test it until you actually need it to melt ice. I would have liked to make sure it was functioning and not damaged from the factory.