1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

House Committee Approves Satellite Reauthorization Bill

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by FTA Michael, Oct 16, 2009.

1. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    http://www.multichannel.com/article...ion_Bill.php?nid=2226&source=link&rid=5207347

"The House Energy & Commerce Committee Thursday approved reauthorization of the bill granting satellite operators a compulsory license to carry distant TV network station signals. The bill includes a provision allowing Dish network back into the distant network signal business in exchange for reaching all 210 markets."

Lots of amendments, including one requiring Dish to carry non-commercial HD stations to all markets by 2011, which Dish says it can't do. Go read the Multichannel News story for all the details.

2. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    Does this mean that a customer that lives is Seattle can receive TV stations from Los Angeles?

3. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Sadly, No!

4. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    I wish this was like radio. One can listen to radio stations from like any market into any market. Why not TV? Does not make sense.

5. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Yes and No, With radio (just as with TV), I can receive out of market stations provided it is done over the air. There is no satellite service (that I am aware of) which allows me to listen to KFI (for example) here in Atlanta so I'm not sure if it is fair to compare the the two :)