1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

House Siding info...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by usnret, May 26, 2013.

1. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    My dish is mounted on the side of our home. Getting the home sided in a few weeks. Fellow said that they would have to take the dish off to wrap, put on fanfold and side the home. Was wondering if I should call D prior to siding install or wait until after they side and put the dish back before calling? Any info would be appreciated. Tks...

2. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Have them leave the dish off. Call and have them set up the relocate before your siders are working, so that way you get the earliest appointment for right after they finish and you also have the least amount of downtime.

3. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    If you are putting vinyl siding on the technician is not supposed to mount to vinyl so you may need another place for the dish.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The idea is to mount to the 2x6 that is behind the siding.

5. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    When I had my house sided, I had the contractor attach a weatherproof board directly to the sheathing and cover it with color-matched aluminum trim. I mounted the dish to that.

6. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    I understand that there may be sufficient wood behind the siding but the foot plate is often bigger than one row of siding so it will damage the siding pretty bad which is way techs are not supposed to mount to it. The siding blocks referenced above would be ok but DTV does not provide those and tech will not have them. i think siding warranty would most likely be voided also by attaching satellite dish but not 100% sure on that.

7. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    I had a similar thing done. Just have them make a mounting space for the dish. I have a raised ranch so I had them add a section of 2 x 12 on the corner of the house just above my deck. It is covered to match the siding and even trimmed like the windows.

8. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    If the dish is off the house for a day or 2, would I still be able to use my HR34 with an am21n and also watch recorded shows on the 34?

9. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    You will be able to watch recorded shows. Since you have a SWM system (with a SWM LNB I am going to assume...if you have a SWM-16 this does not apply) when the dish is removed you're going to be getting the 775/Problem Communicating With Dish message due to your system not seeing the SWM LNB. This will not allow you to bring up the guide or tune to any OTA channels. But if you have a TV with a built in digital tuner you can hook the OTA antenna directly to the TV and watch that way.

10. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    I have a SWM16. Reason that I was asking is that I may want to record OTA and was hopeing the HR34 with the AN21 would still work. Oh well...

11. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The DVRs will go into a re-botting loop if not connected to the satellite dish.