1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how about espn classic? only sportspack or not?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bjlc, Mar 26, 2010.

1. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    is Espn classic only on sports pack or not? I have total choice plus..

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Only in Sports Pack...which is part of Premier.

3. vthokies1996

vthokies1996 Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    I don't have Sports Pack and continue to get ESPN Classic.

I do not have the Premier package. I still have the Choice XTRA with HD-DVR.

4. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Have you checked lately? I removed Sports Pack from my programming last month and no longer have Channel 208. I also have Choice XTRA + HD DVR.:confused:

5. vthokies1996

vthokies1996 Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    I had ESPN Classic as of last night.

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    What was airing on ESPN classic? They may have turned it on if they were showing an overflow game on there.

ESPN Classic was removed from the lower plans and placed in the Sportpack when they moved ESPN-U into the lower packages.

7. vthokies1996

vthokies1996 Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    I periodically watch ESPN Classic. I have not lost it since they made the switch. I can turn it on at anytime and receive the channel. I do not have Sports Pack and do not have Premier. It was not overflow, for some reason, they have not turned off ESPN Classic for me. I can pick it up on either of my boxes.

8. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Are you then getting ESPN U as well???

9. canesice

canesice AllStar

Jul 10, 2009
  10. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    If you still have Choice Extra you should still get (classic)it as it is a grandfathered package, it was dropped when the package became Ultimate.

11. SerArris

SerArris New Member

Mar 18, 2010
    I still have ESPN Classic... Only on 2 out 3 of my receivers though which I thought was odd...

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Espn classic is in Sports Pack on Dish now.

13. vthokies1996

vthokies1996 Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    Yes. I am receiving ESPNU.

This could explain it. I have the old Choice Extra with HDDVR package.

Thanks

14. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I have Choice Xtra+HD-DVR (the grandfathered package) and I do not get ESPN Classic. I used to get it but it was taken away when they moved ESPN-U into my package.

It sounds like your receivers did not get the package hit correctly. Be glad that you still get the channel while you have it, you will most likely lose it at some point (like when they add new channels to your package, or if you have to re-authorize your boxes).

15. vthokies1996

vthokies1996 Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    I don't care if I lose it, I don't watch that often. Just to see what happens I just resent the authorizations to my receivers. I'll see if I still have it when I get home.

16. vthokies1996

vthokies1996 Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    So I resent the authorization to both of my HD DVRs yesterday. When I got home I was still able to receive ESPN Classic on both receivers. Not sure where the mix up is on Directv's part.

Not sure why I am still receiving. I don't get Sports Pack and other people with the same "grandfathered" Total Choice XTRA + HDDVR are not receiving it.

17. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I wish they would put ALL the ESPN channels in Sports Pak since this service charges DirecTV the most per subscriber. I am not a sports fan and NEVER watch ESPN...but I subsidize those that do watch it.

PS: I have PLUS DVR (no HD) and ESPN classic disappeared sometime back.

18. DMRI2006

DMRI2006 Godfather

Jun 13, 2006
    I can't imagine ESPN is doing overly well with Classic these days. Other than airing chopped up, awful looking old games -- with the Bottom Line now running through everything that's shown -- the station's programming is utterly stagnant. There aren't any series, nothing on it that creates a buzz...it was a lot better when it was Classic Sports. I seriously wonder if ESPN won't be "rebranding" it as something else altogether in the not so distant future.