1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How about MSNBC HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mlcdorgan, Oct 21, 2008.

1. mlcdorgan

mlcdorgan Godfather

Jan 18, 2007
    Has there been any recent rumor talk etc.. about when msnbc hd might happen? Do they even have HD yet?

2. cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
    I got from another forum "MSNBC in HD is slated for launch in 2009"

3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    The studios are done. They are certainly capable of moving to HD, but as mentioned in other threads, Universal/NBC seemd to have put any moves to HD on hold for the time being (economy?) affecting a number fo their channels, an oft mentioned "Chiller" for example.

I did think that with CNN long in HD and Fox News now in HD, that there would be kind of an urgency to get this done to stay in the game. I have checked extensively through Google search and the MSNBC/NBC/GE web sites and see no indication of any changeover date nor even a simple "soon". The only "real" information seems to be unsupported wishful thinking on many forum sites.

4. mlcdorgan

mlcdorgan Godfather

Jan 18, 2007
    thanks, cmtar and larryflowers. I agree that with fox and cnn in hd now that you would think that would atleast put some pressure on them to get a move on. Economy too boy isn't that so true too. Well atleast they have alqays had a clear crisp pic so I guess no rush but it would be nice for the HD lineup.

5. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    You would think the channel with Microsoft's brand name in it would have been one of the first to go HD. /boggle

6. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Don't forget CNBC is also in HD already ... so you do have to wonder why MSNBC is not, or that there don't seem to be plans to provide it in HD.

7. ChrisPC

ChrisPC Godfather

Jun 16, 2003
    CNBC HD isn't really HD. The graphics are HD, but all of the video is upconverted SD.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The MSNBC channel and website were split a couple of years ago, with Microsoft getting the website and NBC/Universal getting the TV channel. Microsoft doesn't have much of anything to do with the TV side anymore.

9. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    NBC/Universal announced plans to cut expenditures by $500 million next year. Lots of layoffs are expected. With the acquisition of the Weather Channel, anybody working at Weather Plus should be very, very worried.

10. TermiNader

TermiNader DIRECTV since 1997

Jul 10, 2007
    I don't have any urgent need to see Rachel Mad Cow in HD.

11. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    I work for an NBC affiliate that carries Weather Plus. We've already been told that Weather Plus is going to be discontinued before the end of the year. No word from the suits at NBC on what (if anything) will replace it....

12. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    NBC affiliates will be offered "Universal Sports", a 24/7 sports network. You really haven't heard about this? Swanni has...;)
    http://www.tvpredictions.com/nbc101408.htm

13. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    Heard about Universal Sports, but up to this point, that's primarily been for the O&Os (my station isn't an O&O). There were some rumors of a modified TWC service to replace W+, but nothing definite.

14. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Lets get some other content channels in HD before more news channels in HD!

15. Smooth Jazzer

Smooth Jazzer Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    Chris Matthews in HD>YACK...
    He is nauseating enough in SD...

16. bakerfall

bakerfall Godfather

Aug 23, 2006
    Not that I really need to see any news broadcaster in HD, it would be nice to have MSNBC since Fox News doesn't exist on my boxes (or in my viewing world).

17. russdog

russdog Godfather

Jul 31, 2006
    IMO, one of the worst thing about the internet is the moronic comments in which somebody has to diss what somebody else likes.
    First it happened here re: FOX News, and now it's happening with MSNBC.

Do you think you're being clever? (Hint: you're not.)
    What is this, high school? Can't people just act like grown-ups?

18. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Same people.

19. Balestrom

Balestrom Legend

Jan 12, 2007
    I am the oppisite of an MSNBC fan. Having said that, it would be nice to have all three cable news outlets in HD. I still like to switch over from time to time just to see what they are covering. Usually, it makes me look like this - :flaiming

But I still do it. Sort of like a moth to a flame. :bang

And who wants to go from the sleek looking FNC HD and all its wonders and great reporting to that lame MSNBC if its in SD and going to bug out my eyes :grin:

In all seriousness, any new HD is a great thing so I hope they bring it as well.

20. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I would have expected Fox News to go HD much quicker than it did based upon CNN going HD what seems like a long time ago. I would guess maybe next spring or summer for MSNBC, but then again, does anyone actually watch MSNBC?