1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Apple Stores rewrote the rules of retailing

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Chris Blount, May 20, 2011.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
  2. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I remember thinking "that's never going to last" when I first saw one - shows what I know!

3. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    .. and all I could think of was, "Wow, this is awesome!"

Anyone else remember the Evian water bottles at the Genius Bar?

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    While I've never used the 'Genius' Bar, it's amazing the difference in perception of it and the 'Geek Squad'.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    What's funny... to me... is that I actually like Mac and Apple products... but I see the Genius Bar as Geek Squad people in a better environment.

From my experiences... the Apple employees may be friendlier on-average than the Geek Squad folk I encounter... but they aren't necessarily more knowledgeable.

I went with my sister to purchase her computer... and I had to fight myself not to keep countering most things they were telling her... I didn't want to be rude, but they don't always know their product any more than other reps at other stores.

I guess the big difference is that IF Steve Jobs walked into an Apple store and heard misinformation, they would probably be fired on the spot! Whereas if a CEO of Geek Squad/Best Buy walked in, he probably wouldn't know they were giving misinformation.

6. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I am lucky to have an Apple store about 5 minutes away. I have used the Genius bar several times and always come away happy. Last time was to fix the keyboard of a 5 year old MacBook that a dog jumped on and busted some keys. They fixed it in 5 minutes at no cost!

7. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  8. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    It wasn't always that way ...

Back in the early days, they were true Mac Experts... I mean, people that were hard-core, loved-Apple-even-when-they-were-swirling-the-toilet-bowl, Mac fans. It was great.

The damned iPod ruined it all ;-)

9. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The only thing that I really took away is that they were first to design a unique look.

Most stores that dealt in technology have always had a counter where techs are to help out on things.

Their stores are successful because their products are. More power to them but I don't see how they revolutionized retail.

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I bought my iPod Touch from Amazon last fall. When my headset plug broke I took it into the local Apple store about a mile from my house. I was amazed at how busy the place was and how many red-shirt employees were running around to help people.

They didn't have a direct replacement headset so they gave me one with a built-in microphone. Very nice!

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm not sure a Geek Squad tech could replace a screen on a phone or other device. The Apple store we have did that for my wife, and in only a few minutes.

12. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
  13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  14. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Oh, BS! ^ :rolleyes:

Precisely. Apple did nothing new -- nothing that many other top quality retailers haven't been doing for centuries.

There is (almost) nothing new under the sun.

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, they hit the combination of great products, right sized and well placed stores, enthusiastic and knowledgeable employees (mostly), and a stick-to-it-ness (not expanding in too many directions, though pure Mac enthusiasts shudder at the effect of iPhones and Pads on store traffic), that few have shown before.

So, probably no one thing that's new, but a combo that's very rare. Can anyone think of others similar?

16. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Have you ever been in an Apple store? The setup is not like anything I've ever seen in another retail establishment.

17. mutelight

mutelight Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    You obviously have not been in one of their stores. Where are the cash registers and drawers?

What other company makes their own software and hardware and sells them directly to the customer in their own unique brick and mortar stores? I can only think of Sony Style (which is now closed in SF) and a Bose store. :shudder:

Also not only can each store service all of their products, they can be extremely generous to their clients.

18. Rob77

Rob77 Godfather

Sep 24, 2007
    I was looking forward to the earth ending today so we would not have to go through all the Apple Fan Boys have an orgasm the next time Steve introduces a new item.

p.s this site should really be renamed from DBS Talk to Apple Talk :)

19. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    There are several things I don't particularly like about Apple:

Computer prices too high.
    Company too tight-lipped.
    Won't support Adobe Flash on mobile devices.

However, I think they've done a great job with their stores and, except for absence of Flash, on their iPods, and iPads. The iTunes store is successful too.

20. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Store design is not revolutionizing retail. I've been in plenty of stores that are different than a normal layout of a big box store. It's not revolutionary it's just cool. The process you go through as a customer is the same as it is in any store where the average cost of something is over $300.

Go to a store like Tiffany's or Neiman Marcus and see the service you get when you go in there. High end stores have been doing retail correctly for years. Even stores like Best Buy, depending on the store, can give you the same retail experience.

Then again I've never purchased something just because I could buy it on an iPhone instead of a cash register.