1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How are CSR's paid?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TooManyToys, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TooManyToys

TooManyToys Cool Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Is it by commission or just straight time / salary?

When I called yesterday I got a great deal (didn't know it) and was told is was going to be noted in my account. But today when I called to set it up, different story with a one time only offer.

Jack

2. dgordo

dgordo Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2004
    By the hour.

3. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I would imagine it's by the hour. They're not really considered sales reps.

4. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    With flowers and warm fuzzies.:lol:

5. TooManyToys

TooManyToys Cool Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I could give phone hugs ......

Other then that the wife would start to take notice.

6. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    By the hour and for a very low wage, probably around $12 an hour for the ones that have a good amount of experience. I used to be a Tier 2 tech for Vonage, worst job ever.

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    If I had to guess, they get paid just like techs....poorly. :(

In all seriousness, probably $9-12 a hour, with a few beenies. While working out in the elements day in and day out can be challenging at times, there is no way I could go back to the florescent hell of cubical Dilbert land. No way. I'll live in a slimline box first. :(

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I would imagine so. I do a fair amount of customer service as part of my job, and even I couldn't help saying to my cell-phone CSR, "well, if you had better coverage, then you'd be able to hear me when I complain about why your service isn't better."

Bottom line, CSRs of all stripes are generally underpaid and overworked and don't have the resources to help as much as they like. Very few of them are malicious or intentionally difficult.

9. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    As I mentioned in the thank you thread, If they only knew how many calls this site filters. Imagine that only 10% of the questions asked and answered here were calls, complaints, and rants to the CSR's. If I knew a CSR I would suggest she would want to log in every night to make her job easier.

10. NYSmoker

NYSmoker Icon

Aug 19, 2006
    If you read this forum enough you have to assume they get paid based on the amount of bad information they can convince customers is true.

:D

11. chopperjc

chopperjc Godfather

Oct 2, 2006

This is funny! It is also true. The boards have MUCH better information and easier and certainly nicer to deal with. (Much more responsive as well)

12. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I'm guessing quite a lot of them are paid in rupees......

13. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    For a CSR, that's a bit high. It's more likely starting around $7 per hour with senior people making 9-12 per hour. All things depend though, some call centers pay more for night shift and weekend hours. Retention likely pays a bit more too.

14. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    All depends on where you are and what company you're with.

I know that the company I work for pays -significantly- more than that for a CSR. (And before you ask, yes, it's a large "household name" company.) And no, we don't send any of our calls overseas either. Our 'overflow' is outsourced, but it is to a company that is 100% in the U.S..

15. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

I know that's true about Dishnotwrok!.But I don't believe D* does it yet.:confused:

16. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    The few times I have called, I have gotten 50/50 deep south accent, and deep Indian accent. I dunno, I just know the industry trend is to ship the jobs overseas.

17. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Probably by direct deposit. Checks are so 20th century.

18. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    They get paid by the hour, but part of the problem with bad info is that they get measured by total call time so the faster they get you off the phone the better their stats look for the month.

19. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    I was going to say that if you believe everything on this forum, then their pay is probably based on how many free HR20's & ST SuperFan packages they give away for free.

20. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I do know that D* has a call center about 75 miles from here. I talked to someone there when I ordered my second HR20.

The installer said they employ about 300 people at that location.

I have never had a really bad experience when talking to D*. The CSRs who did not know enough to help me, found someone who could.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.