1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How are VOD movie dowloaded to the receiver

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by kcolg30, Nov 14, 2010.

1. kcolg30

kcolg30 Godfather

May 11, 2010
    Are VOD movies downloaded to the receiver via the SAT signal or Ethernet?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    He's on Dish...This is under the Dish subforum, bud. ;)

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Dang, didn't catch that, post deleted. Thanks

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The answer still might be both...

The "watch immediately" On-Demand stuff from Dish (also appearing on channel 1/501 in the EPG) are downloaded via satellite during the overnight when the receiver is in standby.

Other "on demand" programs are available through Dish Online and those download via your broadband connection.

Sometimes the same movies are available via both methods, while others are exclusive to one method or the other.

5. kcolg30

kcolg30 Godfather

May 11, 2010
    It is kinda weird. One of my 722's is not connected via Ethernet and has all the VOD listed in the EPG. The other 722k has an Ethernet cable pluged in and I only see 3 VOD movies. The receivers are both turned off at night and my update is scheduled for 3am. I have already done a reset and check switch on both of them. I do not know why one receiver has more VOD's than the other.

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    VOD's that show up on your program guide on channel 501 are downloaded to your boxes, but not on any discernible schedule I could see watching my two boxes. Over time they both will end up with most of the same ones, but it takes time.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I did post when/what channel using for VOD - search for "FVOD" here ...

8. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Lots of things can interfere with the VOD-via-satellite... If you have timers set during the times when it would have been getting movies, then it stops... or if you have a power flicker or receiver reboot... or if you have any interference with signal that causes it to drop too low...

It can take a bit for a receiver to catch-up and get the available EPG-VOD. I honestly cannot remember how long it took the last time I got a new receiver... but I know it took at least a few days... maybe a week before it was showing as much as my other receivers.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    During night hours, FVOD [Forward/Forced (?) VOD] could provide 6+ movies if not interrupted ...

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Using that as a gauge, then under perfect circumstances it would take a 622 a couple of days to "fully" populate... while receivers like the 922 could take 4-5 days.

I have about a dozen movies on my 622 (last time I checked) but over 2 dozen on my 922.

Then if you factor in possible interruptions OR if you are staying up late instead of leaving the receiver in standby... and it could easily take a week or more to get all that is available.

11. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I know this is a slightly off topic question. But does the directv cinema/vod via satellite work the same way? As in all of those movies on the cinema channels. And available to watch instantly? Sorry if this is too off topic.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    At least FVOD is using IP protocol ie higher rate then normal MPEG-4/H.264 PPV channel(s).