1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I get a SWM???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by davel, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 30
    davel

davel Godfather

May 1, 2007
    I have read through a bunch of threads and still can't figure out how to get a SWM. I have my whole house wired and will be adding another receiver and prefer not to run 2 wires. My questions are as follows:

1. Considering I have already had the installer out for one HR-20, if I order another one will they just send it?

2. How do I get a SWM?

3. Can the SWM go outside on the dish?

4. Why isn't there a sticky in any of the forums on SWM what is it and how do I get it?

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 30
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    1) They are not publically available yet... they are still in trials...
    2) Those trials have now expanded a bit, to include a few markets where the installers are installing them in homes.

So That covers your #1 and #2

#3) It can, if you want it to
    #4) Cutting Edge forum contains all the details on SWM... but it is no longer stickied... as for "how to get it", refer to #1 and #2

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 30
    monetnj

monetnj Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    Earl, I can understand if you can't answer, but is Houston one of the test markets? I ask because it looks like I might be moving down there in the next month or two and it sure would be handy to not have to run extra lines.

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 30
    davel

davel Godfather

May 1, 2007

Usually tests are conducted over a period of time. When is this test over? It has been going on from what I can see since March.

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 30
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    The field installer "trials" have only been going on for a few weeks at best...

As for what markets they are in... I don't have an exact list of them.

The test will go on until DirecTV is satisfied with the overall process, so there is no definitive time line.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 30
    PennHORN

PennHORN Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    Houston is not on the test market list unfortunately. Dallas and Shreveport are :(

7. monetnj

monetnj Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    Bummer. Hopefully, it will be out in general release by the time I move.

8. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    Anyone know if the San Francisco Bay (or more specifically Santa Clara County: Los Altos, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, San Jose) is a trail area for the SWM?

9. kd4ao

kd4ao Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    In my case I have only one Sat coax going to the HR-20 because all wiring is inside the walls and it is a Condo. I did manage to get an OTA signal to the HR-20 so I have Sat on tuner 1 and OTA on tuner 2. It works but I would sure like to have SWM instead. When I ordered the HR-20 the girl in Boise thought she could possibly get an SWM for me and said she would call me back in a couple of weeks but now it has been a couple of months and no call so I will just have to wait.

10. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I like the old system better.

Let the customer discover that the recorder they ordered won't record unless they get a second line in their new & pre wired tract mansion.

My favorite approach was the HSP guy who told the customer he "ran out of recorders" but not to worry......he could get things started with a regular receiver. So he used the existing line and moved on. Then the recorder order went through the HSP system again and this time someone else is asked to arrive on Sunday to run the second line and swap the equipment.

Then the customer discovers the second wire deal.

Great plan!

Joe

11. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    They dont really have control over that :(
    They can send you out alot of things, but multiswitches are controlled completely by your local office... or getting a D12. (I know 2 of the new receivers have the capacity built in, I just dont know which other 2 they are...)

Im playing warehouse roulette right now to see if I can get a D12 shipped to me :lol:

12. KRBY

KRBY New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Right now the swims are only available in very few service regions, and will only work with new models the r16, h21, and hr21 that are just now being release.

13. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Ummm.... They also work with the H20, HR20, and D12 receivers as well.

14. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    I was talking with one of our supervising technicians and he said we should be testing SWMs in our market soon woohoo lol.

15. RClarkofNC

RClarkofNC Cool Member

Sep 29, 2007
    JDubbs413, that's great news. The more locations, the better! Do you know if it will include SWM-8's or just the SWM-5's that others have reported being rolled out?

16. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    What is the Difference between a SWM-5 and a SWM-8 ??

EDIT: Actually it probably means the number of outputs on the switch right? So with a SWM you just plug-in 1 wire to the HR20 (or other Compatible Rcvr) and it will automatically let you use both tuners from 1 wire?

17. RClarkofNC

RClarkofNC Cool Member

Sep 29, 2007
    As I understand it, it's the number of SWM-compatible tuners it can feed. Most receivers use one feed. DVRs use two. So, in my case, with two HR20's and three D12's, I will need the SWM-8 to feed my 7 tuners.

18. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Exactly

19. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Any idea, yet, when the SWMs are released to the masses, will they only be available through D*, with professional installation?

Or, will they be sold via retailers (solid signal, etc.), too?

I'm thinking that I'd save a ton of heartache, and waiting, by doing the work myself.

20. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    All indications right now.... just through DirecTV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.