1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I get the NY Networks when I live in Seattle?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Vespa, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vespa

Vespa New Member

May 27, 2007
    Hey folks, I am looking at moving to Direct TV (currently on Comcast and hating it) but I'd like to get the New York City HD feeds of ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX affiliates since I am originally from the east coast.

Now, here is the problem...I live in the Seattle area now.

I know I can (try) and get waivers etc from my local stations...but from what I have seen those that have tried have limited success. I also know that my local stations will have fine signal strength if I test..so that route is out.

So here is my plan: I use my relative's mailing address in Manhattan as my ‘billing address.’

It seems too simple to actually work…that’s why I figured I’d ask you guys.

If this won’t work, does anyone have any other suggestions on how to successfully get NY stations here on the west coast?

Thx

2. msalvail

msalvail Legend

Sep 19, 2003
    I don't know how it works with D* but with E*, it's relatively simple. Once you are an existing customer, call the CSR and tell them you would like to change your PHYSICAL address but leave your billing address the same. Don't offer explanations as it seems they don't really care. Give them an address in the area where you'll be 'moving". If they ask you what is showing on your TV now, tell them you are in your car. (call on your cell phone)

3. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    Locals are beamed on Spot beams. I doubt you will be close enough to be covered by the NY spot beam. You could however get the national east coast broadcast.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    its called "moving", its technically illegal and if D* gets caught selling you those channels they get fined, and we all pay for it.

5. Mocco71

Mocco71 Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    The NY locals are CONUS, not spot beamed. Therefore, if you "move", you will get them. They aren't spot beamed bacause they are used predominately east of the Mississippi river when local OTA is not available. While the "moving" is deceptive and illegal, a lot of threads on this site as well as other forums tend to have success stories, but I believe with D* you need to provide a valid address to the city you are "moving".

6. Vespa

Vespa New Member

May 27, 2007
    Thanks for the pointers...I'd rather not do something illegal. Are there any other reasons I can use to argue?

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No. DirecTV cannot legally offer you out-of-area local channels without waivers from those local stations. And it's just about impossible to get those, unless you truly are outside of those stations' coverage area. By the way, it's not really DirecTV's decision .... blame the FCC and National Association of Broadcasters.

8. Tower Guy

Tower Guy Godfather

Jul 27, 2005
    Sorry, the blame here is to those who wish to pilfer creative works by circumventing copyright law.

9. CobraGuy

CobraGuy Godfather

Apr 23, 2007
    Yes...there is a way...and perfectly legal. Get a mobile account with D*. You will need to provide a registration for your motorhome, 18 wheeler, etc. Then you can pay for the national broadcasts and get both east and west coast feeds. However, be aware that you cannot order the NFL Sunday Ticket on that type of account. They don't want you driving your motorhome into a blacked out area and receiving the game.

I know of several folks who use an address in a different part of the country to do what you want. Is it illegal? Define illegal. I would be surprised if they could prosecute you for something like that. I seriously doubt it's a "crime". That's not to say that D* couldn't take civil action against you. But would they? My guess is if they ever found out, they would terminate the account. I'm also not sure they would even care. As long as they do their due diligence, they should be covered. I'm not advocating you do anything illegal. That's wrong. I'm just not sure that definition fits this particular situation.

10. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    It's illegal (in the sense of a parking ticket) for DTV to knowingly give you NYC locals when you are out of market. It's not illegal for you to receive them. DTV never asks questions, so they avoid the "knowingly" part. No one will arrest you if they find out since YOU are not breaking any laws. The worst that will happen is that you lose the NYC locals and get your Seattle locals. Whether it's "moral" or not is another debate.

Keep in mind that you will only get the Big 4 networks from NYC. All other NYC channels are spotbeamed.

You don't have to "argue" with the DTV CSR. You simply tell them your "service" address is changing to NYC while your "billing" address and phone will remain the same in Seattle. You do have to use a valid address in NYC, but it could be a Starbucks or whatever you like. Just don't use an address that already has DTV service or else add an extra bit, such as "555 E. 33rd, Apt 22A" rather than simply "555 E. 33rd". The 555 E. 33rd must be a valid address, but the Apt 22A bit doesn't have to be. And, no, they don't care about whether the phone number is a Seattle or NYC number.

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    One thing to remember, if you do "move" you'll also lose your local RSN network and any blackouts on sports will be based on you living in NY and not Seattle, if that makes any difference to you.

12. Tower Guy

Tower Guy Godfather

Jul 27, 2005

#1 fallacy; Subscribers with a mobile account are required to sign a contract that states that they will not use the account while at home. I would not call contracting to do one thing and then doing another "perfectly legal".

#2 fallacy; Legality Defined in Copyright Law section 119.

(5) Violation of territorial restrictions on statutory license for network stations.—
    (A) Individual violations.—The willful or repeated secondary transmission by a satellite carrier of a primary transmission made by a network station and embodying a performance or display of a work to a subscriber who does not reside in an unserved household is actionable as an act of infringement under section 501 and is fully subject to the remedies provided by sections 502 through 506 and 509, except that—
    (i) no damages shall be awarded for such act of infringement if the
    satellite carrier took corrective action by promptly withdrawing service
    from the ineligible subscriber, and
    (ii) any statutory damages shall not exceed $5 for such subscriber for
    each month during which the violation occurred.

(D) Burden of proof.⁵⁷—In any action brought under this paragraph, the satellite carrier shall have the burden of proving that its secondary transmission of a primary transmission by a network station is for private home viewing to an unserved household.

I would not define "due diligence" as proof.

13. CobraGuy

CobraGuy Godfather

Apr 23, 2007
    I stand somewhat corrected then...except I believe those are civil penalties and not criminal penalties. So I'm not sure I would call that a crime. Still...you're correct....except for fallacy #1....I never, ever signed anything like that when I had a mobile account...and in fact, many times had to make calls to Customer Service while I was watching at home...and told them I was home. There was never an issue with that.

14. Tower Guy

Tower Guy Godfather

Jul 27, 2005
    The current RV declaration is here:

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DNS_Vehicles_Aff.pdf

It states:

I attest that the satellite antenna to be used to receive this programming is attached to, and the system receiver is located in, this vehicle (which is a motor vehicle or commercial truck and not a boat or any other kind of marine vessel), and is not intended for use in a fixed dwelling residence. I understand that the misuse of this equipment will result in the termination of my Distant Network Service programming and could lead to legal action taken against me.

15. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    If it weren't for my wife wanting the Des Moines locals, I would love to "move" my account to my parents 120 or so miles away in SW Iowa and receive the Omaha locals.

16. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Oh, and one other thing... you'll only get Channels 2, 4, 5 and 7... those are the only ones on national transponders. 9, 11, 13 and the rest are on spot beams.

Also, to correct someone else's post, D* is not even able to offer waivers in the Seattle market now, due to SHVERA, as Seattle has both SD and HD locals available locally.

My recommendation? Slingbox.

17. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    With an HR20 HD DVR you can do both. "Move" to get Omaha locals and get the Des Moines locals OTA. The OTA locals are merged in the guide (in this case they would be "secondary" locals) so they're easy to access. Anything you can do with sat locals you can do with OTA locals if you're using an HR20.

18. Terry K

Terry K Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    If you can pull off the triple feature, and find a place with no OTA, you can legally get the HD NYC stuff too =)

19. agreer

agreer Godfather

Apr 7, 2006
    ARR MATEE I be a BAD PIRATE I pilfer the booty that is the evening news fron the town where I lived for 22 years and recently moved from also because waiting until 3 hrs after my friends see a show to let me see it, all because I CANT buy it!

There is a strong case for letting people get locals from wherever the hell they want: here it goes: 2 examples:

1: WTHR Indianapolis last month blacked out Scrubs and The Office (the only NBC shows I like) to show a god-damed severe weather special! woulda been nice to flip to WNBC and get the shows...but in stead: BIT TORRENT BABY! I pay my cable bill, they pay WTHR, so I paid to watch those shows.

2: WTHR in February, in the middle of The Office, killed the HD feed, replased it with an SD feed with a weather map and a scroll covering 3/4 of the screen, all to tell us it is snowing! NO **** SHERLOCK, save it till 11 Woulda loved to switch to WNBC...but NOOOOO that would be a sin against GOD HIOMSELF if I got to see the show I wanted to see.

I just think that all network programming should be available nation wide, there is always some affiliate who pulls something that they find offensive...why should that whole market be blacked out because one jackass has a burr up his backside?

Why dont the networks themselves address these issues? NOTE, I already pay for cable so $1.99/Ep in itunes is NOT HAPPENING

20. Tom M

Tom M Legend

Jan 3, 2007
    I agree for the most part but in reality it has nothing to do with the networks. The real reason has to do with the local advertisers losing eyeballs watching their ads. Once again it comes down to following the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.