1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I record the same program in SD and HD

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by brantlew, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brantlew

brantlew Mentor

Mar 19, 2007
    There are some programs which I would like to watch in HD for the best quality but would also like to keep a copy stored on my hard drive for later viewing. I don't want to use up all my storage with HD recordings so I would like the stored copy to be in SD format. However when I try to create a timer for the HD program from my OTA antenna and the same program from the satellite in SD, the guide doesn't allow the second recording claiming that it is a duplicate. Does anyone know how to get past this restriction?

2. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    Once you have created the second event, and the software flags it as a duplicated/skipped event, click on the second duplicated recording from your guide. It will be marked with a X'd out bubble. It will then appear in the daily schedule as a skipped (duplicate) event. Select restore. The software will ask if you want to restore only this single event, or apply this selection to all events effected by this timer. Make your appropriate choice.

3. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    However.. the tough problem brant is the procedure kdg454 gave you is correct but only is a one time shot and I am sure you were hoping for something automatic. As far as I know, there is not a way to do it because both HD and SD programs are considered the same if there episode ids and show ids are the same. It actually is a feature of NBR and of the 622 for most users. I would add it to the wish list though I am not sure how many people would want this type of feature.

4. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    I'm not sure about OTA & satellite, but I have had it happen where both channels are from the satellite. I have 2 timers setup. The 1st timer records my show restricted to the SD channel and the 2nd timer records the same show on the HD channel. I believe I have both timers setup to record all shows. What I've found is that I will get a particular episode recorded on the SD channel and then a couple of days later the episode will record on the HD channel.

5. Wildman63

Wildman63 Mentor

Dec 23, 2006
    I watch recorded HD movies while I burn them to DVDs on my Panasonic DMR-ES46V... then delete the DVR copy, unless it's really an excellent flick. I seldom have more than a few hours stored on the hard drive. I use the DVR primarily to schedule TV watching.

6. Jolard

Jolard Legend

Feb 14, 2006
    I have problems with one of my OTA channels, and so sometimes shows tape great, othertimes they don't. So I have one show I record in both HD and SD to make sure I get it fine.

The only way to have regular timers work like this (without having to restore every week) is to set a manual timer for one of them. i.e. set it to record on such and such a channel from 8:59 pm to 10:03 pm. In other words, set up a time based timer instead of a show based timer.

Hope that makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.