1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I stop my HR20 from dialing out?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by furjaw, May 23, 2010.

1. furjaw

furjaw AllStar

Jul 29, 2007
    I dropped my land line telephone service.
    I bought an Xlink Bluetooth Cell Phone Gateway which allows us to receive and make calls from any of our 10 telephones via our cell phones.
    But I am worried about exceeding our Verizon 700 minute allocation because my HR20 keeps dialing 800 531-5602 and 866 709-2073 over and over day and night!
    The problem is that cell phones do not support fax or modem calling, so the calls are never successful.

How can I stop my HR20 from dialing out?
    I would rather not unplug the phone cable from it because I like getting the Caller-ID on the TV screen.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You might try networking the DVR, in hopes it might fulfill its wish to connect that way, and leave your phone line alone. Only other way I know of, is to unplug the phone line.

3. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Disconnect the phone line, that's the only way to prevent the receiver from completing the call - it will still try.

But disconnecting the phone line will also prevent you from ordering PPV with the remote.

If you have a home network with internet access, the receivers will report back via the internet if networked and you disconnect the phone line. I don't think they do that if the phone line is still connected.

4. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    My 4 DVR's are networked and all connected to a phone line and they haven't dialed out in years. I can tell because my VOIP service shows all in and outbound calls in it's log just as a cell phone would.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. As long as the receivers are networked, they will use the Internet to check back with DirecTV and for PPV ordering instead of the phone line. At that point the phone line being connected is only used for Caller ID.

- Merg

6. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    That's what I would think; however all my receivers still make calls, although not always daily, even though being networked. I find several receiver initiated calls to DirecTV's dvr service lines by simply looking though my VOIP's log. And yes; I even choose to "opt-out" of their data collection by selecting that option from their web login interface.