1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I tell if eSata connection is working?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mmazurik, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmazurik

mmazurik New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I have recently bought/leased a second HR20 receiver. The first one is almost always teetering on being full, so I thought I when I acquired one for another room that I would also buy an external hard drive. I turned on the new receiver, waited for it to download the latest build and called Directv to activate it.

Then I recorded a very small length of show. Then I turned it off and unplugged it. Next I connected a new FreeAgent 750GB via a 6' long shielded eSata cable that I bought at Fry's. Then I turned on the drive, waited, turned on the HR20 and waited. Then I saw the same show. So everything was turned off and then everything was turned on and nothing. Cool that is what I was hoping for.

Anyway, when I record or play something I can hear what I presume to be drive clicking from the HR20 and not the external FreeAgent drive which seems to spin sometimes and other times not (cool to the touch / no vibration / no sound). Additionally, I am not not certain that there really is an increase in capacity (2 hours (total) of HD from SHOH and DSHD = CORRECTED 95% EMPTY).

If anybody has some suggestions I would appreciated it.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk

If you are seeing the show that you recorded on the internal drive then the external drive is not working. When you start it up with the external drive you should see the HR20 setting it up I believe. I have not done it yet. The cable just may not be connected all the way. It is a common problem with the eSATA cable not plugging in far enough. Some members have had to cut a little of the plastic off.

3. mmazurik

mmazurik New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Thank you. I do not recall seeing the eSata configuration / setup messages that you mentioned.

I was actually trying the cut the cable idea when I read your reply. I have carefully cut maybe 1 mm of plastic off both ends of the eSata cable with an exacto-type blade and have pushed the cable firmly into both jacks. Now I seem to feel/hear Hard Drive sounds from the 750GB FreeAgent drive and do not hear any from the HR20.

The only thing is that the eSata cable connection does not seem very secure. I almost wish this had screw on connectors... I do worry that if I need to pull the HR20 out of the cabinet that it will ultimately reside that I am going to dislodge this cable. Maybe this is a caulk / duct tape solution...

Best Regards
    Mark

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I assume you mean 95% free, right?

If so, 2 hours of MPEG2 should use about 6% of the available space. So it does not look like you are recording to the eSATA drive. But one question remains, what happened to the original show you recorded on the internal drive?

5. St Louis Cardinals Fan

St Louis Cardinals Fan Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    OP I hope it's not 5% free (or else you are still on the internal drive).
    I have 10+ hours of HD content and 92% free on my external 500 GB drive.

6. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I did not see any setup messages when I connected my external drive. Really the only way I could tell was that some of my preferences got reset.

7. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Thanks for the correction. I have not set one up yet and I thought I read awhile ago someone posted when you set it up and the HR20 is starting up it formats the hard drive and you see something on the TV about it.

8. mmazurik

mmazurik New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Yes, 95% free. The original show is probably still there, but it seemed like it was 1/2 working. Now that I shaved 1mm of plastic from the plug, it works much better.

Mark

9. mmazurik

mmazurik New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    It seems like it would be a good enhancement to list the drive's capacity on the Help & Settings / Setup / Info & Test page. Even cooler would be for it to estimate SD, MPEG2 and MPEG4 estimated capacities.

Mark

10. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I also did not see any set up message. It must have done a quick format to my new drive, because it wan't noticably longer than the normal start up. The key is, if the old recording is there, you are on the internal. If not, youu are on external.

I also had to modify the cable to make it work with the free agent drive. Not pretty, but effective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.