1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How DirecTv/DBSTalk saved my basement

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ProfLonghair, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    So, yesterday I read about the overnight reboots/ToDo list problems. I woke up not feeling so hot (I got better), so I was already at home. I went downstairs to the main floor, checked both DVRs there, and they were fine. Then, I went into the basement to check the last one.

When I first headed down the stairs, it was quiet, so I knew the dehumidifier was full. So, I went into the unfinished half. Then, I saw it: The basment had a hugs puddle of water around the drain in the floor. So, I checked the sump pump, as that was where it seemed to be coming from. Sure enough, the pit was full, and I couldn't see the floater. So, I reached my hand in, and that water was COLD! I'm surprised it was still liquid. I could only fish around in there for a few seconds at a time, as my hands went numb quickly, and it was murky enough that i had to rely solely on touch.

Got that fixed, and when it started draining, water came pouring out the output pipe, right at the catch valve. WE already had it duct taped, because there was a pinhole leak there a while back. So, I tried more duct tape. No good. I found if I held the valve and the flanges together in just the right way, it would drain with no leak. So, I held it long enough that it was not overflowing, with some room to spare. Went to Home Depot, got a new valve with flanges attached, and came home to replace.

The rubber flange at the top of the system was ripped about half off! That ended up being my big problem. The replacement went fine, and no damage was done, thankfully, because I caught it in time.

And, why did I catch it in time? Because, I read here about the reboots, and went in the basement to check on my HR20-700. So, thank you, DirecTV, for screwing up the guides, and helping me fix my basement leak, and thank you DBSTalk, for telling me to go check.

;)

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Hey .. cool story .. Thanks for sharing :)

3. DJPellegrino

DJPellegrino Godfather

Nov 17, 2005
    So...was the basement receiver updated or not? :D
    Glad you escaped without too much damage!

4. Button Pusher

Button Pusher Icon DBSTalk Club

Jan 19, 2007
    The...
    Glad you got it taken care of! DirecTV saves the day! Well don't leave yourself out. You had to be intelligent enough to fix it!!:D

5. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    There will probably be a "disaster aversion" charge on your next bill!

6. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Yeah, DTV is cool even though they cost me a good door.

Back when my son was living at home I found him in his room with the TV off. I asked why and he reported too many commercials and stupid programs on the locals. So he was doing homework and reading a math text. After he left for an expensive college I rented his room to a guy who began selling drugs. The cops kicked down the door and hauled his ass out of here one night last week.

So, do you think DTV will fix the door?

Joe

7. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Pretty cool story. :lol:

Mike

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I've got a sump pump in my unfinished basement that occasionally 'hangs' without cutting on and needs a bump to start.

I've added a water alarm ($12 or so at HD or Lowe's) that has saved my neck several times. There's actually a wireless version available online that you can put the alarm upstairs.

Check it out.

9. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    !rolling !rolling That's the best part of the story right there! !rolling !rolling

;)

10. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    Hey, why not? What problem can't be fixed by duct tape?

11. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I know of two so far... this one and something about fishing cables. :p :lol:

12. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Hey, don't laugh at duct tape. . . another story, but it saved my sailboat from sinking!

I keep a roll handy in the boat!

13. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use Duct Tape.:D

14. Harry Seldon

Harry Seldon Cool Member

Feb 6, 2008
    You people forget the virtues of caulk.

15. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Since this was D* related it would have been fixed with self tapping screws :lol:

ProfLonghair, You owe us all a cold one.

16. captain_video

captain_video Icon

Nov 21, 2005
    Sounds like we've got a lot of Red Green fans here. Duct tape fixes everything!:D

17. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    Hey, I successfully fished a cable through a wall using a bent coat hanger, attached to the end of a coax connector (don't know what you'd call it - it's the coax connector I took out of an old wall plate). Coat hanger was attached to the connector with... yep... a ridiculous amount of duct tape (I couldn't pull off the connector after I was done :)). I then just screwed the end of the cable to the connector, and after much sweating and swearing I got the cable through. As Alton Brown said on one episode of Good Eats: Macgyver isn't my patron saint for nothing...

18. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    :lol:

19. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Given the cold ones he had that day, I don't think I want one right now. :)

Thanks for the story ProfLonghair!
    Tom

20. lwilbur

lwilbur Cool Member

Jan 24, 2006
    That small pinhole depending on where it is is important. Usually a small pinhole is drilled into the discharge piping to prevent airlock. Airlock doesnt occur often but when it does it allows the pump to pump air but not pull water and discharge it. So by duct taping the hole in the past you may have set yourself up for this problem. Usually the hole is drilled just below the lid of the pit so that it doesnt splash outside.