1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How do banner movies work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Naveb, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Naveb

Naveb New Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Kansas
    I have a question about the movie banners that are between channels 125 and 126 that are labeled "Directv Cinema, press select to watch now". I just recently got a HR21 DVR and these banners are new to me. I do not have an internet connection on my DVR. How do these pay per view movies work exactly? Do these movies reside on my DVR and come active if I decide to watch them? I understand how the PPV movies that start at Ch 126 and begin every 30 minutes work, but how can these others start at any time?

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Many of the watch now movies are already stored in a partitioned area of the DVR. You can't access it for anything else. They come in via Satellite and are there for your instant viewing.

3. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    These are stored on a portion of the built in drive and are ready to play at anytime. If you click on them you will be able to watch the first few minutes of the movie and if you click the OK tab on the screen you will be billed for it and be able to watch the whole movie.

4. Naveb

Naveb New Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Kansas
    Thanks for the fast responses. That's what i thought, but wasn't certain.

5. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    You're welcome.

Oh, and Welcome to DBSTalk.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Just a quick note. in order to be able to watch these movies, you receiver must be connected to a phone line or internet. if the receiver is not, you can try paying via text or using the DirecTV app

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Doesn't a land line not connected to the receiver still work?

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY

"not connected" or you mean connected?

9. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What I said: not connected to the DVR..

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY

You mean "connected"

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If your dvr is not connected by one or the other, you cannot order by remote control. Impulse PPV is at that point disabled on your account

12. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I simply mean, can one not order via telephone? We used to be able to do that, and I'd be surprised if one still couldn't. (Via a land line that is not also connected to any receiver.)

13. D_Art

D_Art New Member

Jul 23, 2013
    N. Calif.
    Any way to hide these banners? They can't be filtered in favorites.

14. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Any way to hide these banners? They can't be filtered in favorites.

They are typically tied to the channel just below them. You'd have to hide that one to make them go away. The block above HBO is hard if you are an HBO customer.

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Sure you can, but there is a manually handling fee tacked on to phone ordering..I cant remember how much because it seems silly not to use what you may already have available to save the handling fee. Why pay extra for something you dont need to?

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If your dvr is not connected by one or the other, you cannot order by remote control. Impulse PPV is at that point disabled on your account

Not quite, you can order (pay) via smartphone app or text