1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I add DNLA devices to network for Hopper see them

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by milwaukee111, Apr 23, 2012.

1. milwaukee111

milwaukee111 Cool Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I am New to hopper (moved from Directv).
    I want to install dlna drives so that I can use the hopper.
    I have four USB 2 tb hard drives. I am unfamiliar with dlna devices.
    Can some one suggest appropriate dlna devices so that I can access and watch my movies with my hopper?
    One person had complained that his hopper is not seeing his dlna devices
    Thank you.

2. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    DLNA is a way to view media over a network connection. You wouldn't (at least directly) watch them on a USB hard drive. You'd have to put them on a computer and use something like PlayOn to view them.

3. milwaukee111

milwaukee111 Cool Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Are you saying that the hopper cannot display .iso files from a hard drive visitble on the network?

My question was: "Can some one suggest appropriate dlna devices so that I can access and watch my movies with my hopper?"

I am trying to find a dlna device which would make my hard drive visitble to the hopper, so that I can watch with my hopper!

btw, my dard drives have .iso files

4. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Then the answer is no. You said nothing about Iso files before. Playon works ok for most other things. You'll need a streaming device like the WD Live for iso files. DLNA on Hopper is fairly limited.

5. milwaukee111

milwaukee111 Cool Member

Apr 19, 2012
    thanks for clarification mdavej but are you sure wd live plays iso files. I think I bought one, sent it overseas and found out that it does not play .iso files. I had to buy an Asus media player

6. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Yes it does, but it doesn't support DVD menus. Asus does support DVD menus, so that's a better choice. I simply posted the first iso streamer that came to mind.

7. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    I use a Synology NAS device with all my videos in a MPEG4 format. Works fine.....

8. Ijon_Tichy

Ijon_Tichy Cool Member

Apr 16, 2007
    I can stream mp3 and mpeg videos to Hopper using PS3MediaServer.

However, when watching a video stream I cannot fwd or rwd at all.

Hopper cannot handle streams in flac and ts.