1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How do I format my internal hard drive?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by BrianG, Feb 16, 2009.

1. BrianG

BrianG Cool Member

Jul 9, 2006
    I have a ViP-622 which seems to have lost at least two sectors. I can keep the bad sectors tied up on recorded programs that don't play, but once I erase them, the errors move to two other (future) recorded programs.

Can someone tell me how to perform a low level format of the internal hard drive? This should detect and spare out the bad sectors.

BTW, I am also a victim of the HDMI port going bad after more than a year of working fine. I never touch the receiver or the cable/connector so I believe that this is an active component problem, not a passive component problem (connector soldering issue) like some are talking about in other posts.

Thanks for any help.

2. RickDee

RickDee Legend

May 23, 2006
    Why not just get a replacement 622?

3. EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO Godfather

Apr 6, 2007
    As mentioned above your only option is a replacement 622. There are no disk utilities an end user can run to recover bad sectors on the internal drive. Besides with a new box you'll most likely get a newer firmware, bootstrap, DNASP etc.

4. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    If you search around the instructions for having the receiver reformat the drive exist. Not sure if a lower level format will be done that detects and marks the bad sectors so they will not be used.

5. ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    1. Menu
    2. 6
    3. 3 (the Diagnostic screen should appear)
    4. Info
    5. Right button
    6. Left button (screen filled with hexadecimal figures should
    appear)
    7. Play
    8. Play
    9. Recall (message saying that the hard drive will be
    re-initialized)

6. RickDee

RickDee Legend

May 23, 2006
    Having just doing this last week, I can assure you it does not do a low level format at all. It is done so quickly that about all it has time to do is to zero out the initial tracks and make it look like it's empty. Besides, this procedure comes from a post about initializing the drive, not formatting the drive.

7. TulsaOK

TulsaOK DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 23, 2004
    How did you determine the loss of "at least two sectors"?

8. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    I had a wierd experience with my 622; when I first got it, over two years ago, I got a few errors over the first few months with disk errors, saying I should re-initialize, etc.

Not wanting to lose all my recorded programs, I blew off the message, rebooted, and went on with life. This probably happened 4-5 times over the first month or two.

Strangly I haven't had an error since then, ran perfect ever since. Never lost anything. (fingers crossed)

9. BrianG

BrianG Cool Member

Jul 9, 2006
    I received an error when trying to play a recorded program. I deleted the program and found the error in another (future) recording. After a few time of this, I left the bad recording and I stopped getting the errors. A few months later, it happened again. If I delete the two bad programs, I get two new bad programs later. This is how I determined there must be at least two bad sectors.

Now, if there were only a way to perform a low-level format I could fix this and save myself and Dish some time and money.

10. TulsaOK

TulsaOK DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 23, 2004

That's some pretty good troubleshooting. You might call Advanced Tech Support. They know several tips and tricks when it comes to things like this. Have you tried that?

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Only if you open a cover and after hot-swap SATA cable, will connect to your PC and will run from bootable CD/floppy a program MHDD with ReMap=ON.