1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Incorporate DECA-Only Receiver into Existing Ethernet Whole Home Network?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by DBSNewbie, Oct 13, 2011.

1. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    Hello All,

I am planning to upgrade one of my HD receivers to an H25. Since it doesn't have an ethernet jack, I was wondering how I can incorporate the H25 into my existing system. I have whole home networking via ethernet and am using a combination of WB616's and a SWM-8. The H25 will be hooked up to the SWM.

I already have 8 HR's (not via DECA) networked together. What do I need to do so that the H25 can "see" the other DVRs and have access to their playlists? Or does the SWM already allow receivers hooked up to it to communicate with one another via the coax only?

Thanks,

D

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    You should be able to use a DECA, DECA-BB or wireless DECA to bridge between DECA (H25) and ethernet (other receivers) networking. If other receivers are connected to the SWM8, their ethernet connection keeps them from seeing the DECA signal on the coax.

3. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    I have internet access via an ethernet port next to where the H25 will go. So is it just a matter of putting a DECA adapter between the wall port and the H25 and connecting an ethernet cable from the adapter to the wall port? Or is it a little more complicated than that?

Thanks.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Bob has the right idea, but depending on which DECA you get, you'll need to add a 2-way splitter and a BSF to keep the DECA to between the H25 and the other DECA.

5. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    coax from SWM8 --> BSF --> WDCCK --> H25

or

coax from SWM8 --> BSF --> 2-way green splitter

--> H25
    --> DECA or BB DECA

6. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    What is a WDCCK?

7. David Ortiz

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
  8. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    Thanks!

I'm thinking it would be so much easier to just get a H24 instead. The smaller size of the H25 is ideal, but the ethernet jack on the H24 would make it an easier install.

By the way, all the DVR's in my current system are HR-20's. Do I need a band stop filter for each one of them or just for the H25?

Is the WDCCK necessary? Is the DECA adapter (plus power adapter, if needed) not sufficient enough to have access to the internet and just the playlists of the other DVR's?

9. David Ortiz

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    The BSF will isolate the DECA signal so it's only seen by the DECA/WDCCK and the H25 (as mentioned by veryoldschool), so you only need one.

The advantage of the WDCCK is that it connects inline, without needing an extra splitter.

10. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    Okay. These things can get a little confusing to me :)

I noticed that the second option you mentioned in your earlier post had no WDCCK in it.

Since I already have splitters, perhaps this will be the most cost efficient route.

For clarification, from the SWM --> (coax wall plate at H25 location), then to a Band Stop Filter --> Splitter (I have a Skywalker 5-2300 MHz 2-Way Splitter; These are the ones I use in my current system).

Then from the splitter, one output goes to a DECA Adapter and the other output goes straight to the H25, right?

Do I need a power adapter for the DECA and will I need to attach an ethernet cable from the DECA to the ethernet jack on the wall?

EDIT: I have no other DECA adapters anywhere in the system. All DVRs are networked via Ethernet. All I'll need is just the one DECA at the H25?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to be absolutely sure.

Thanks again,

D

11. David Ortiz

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    The 2-way splitter should be a green-label, DECA compatible splitter.

Yes.

Yes and yes. The BB DECA comes with a standard power supply. The "white" receiver DECA needs a specialized power supply.

Yes only one DECA is needed. (The H25 has DECA built in.)

12. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Looking at his setup I would think he would be a good candidate for having DirecTV come out and switch him over to a supported SWM/DECA network. All his H20s would be replaced with newer H2x receivers that would be compatible with DECA and he could start enjoying whole home on them too. Adding the H25 to his account is already going to trigger a new 2 year agreement so why not get everything swapped over now?

He'd probably have to show the tech how to hook up a SWM16 and SWM 8 off the same dish and use two broadband DECAs to combine the networks though :)

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Should be" is true, "but" in this case, the isolation loss of the skywalker isn't going to be a problem, as the cable loss will be almost nothing, and since the DECA handles greater than 40 dB of loss, "it will work".

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You have a good point, and in this case [with so many H20s] the cost [$199+ service call] might be worth it.

15. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Yep, replacing 4 H20s with newer receivers (possibly 4 H25s) would be worth an extra $100 to me.

16. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    Thank you very much! I appreciate it :)

But now, something else just occurred to me. I am also planning to upgrade one of our HR-20's (which is currently hooked up via SWM) to an HR-24. Is it just a matter of swapping out the receivers and connecting it in the exact same way?

Or, since the HR24 has built-in DECA, will it need to be hooked up in a similar fashion to the H25 to connect to my existing network? (BSF, splitter, DECA BB, etc)

Or since the HR-24 has an ethernet input, does it disable the DECA and operate like an older HR DVR in terms of networking when an ethernet connection is established?

17. David Ortiz

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    I just think it would be cool to have a den with 6 TVs in it.

The SD receivers would be upgraded also.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    yes.

19. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    I was thinking that. Does anyone know if a SWM-16 is included in the $199 if the number of tuners in the system requires it?

20. David Ortiz

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Yes, no, and yes.

Connecting it the same way would be the easiest way.