1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How do I know if my LNBF is bad?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Bmac48, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Bmac48

Bmac48 New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I have a Dish 500 with a DP Dual LNBF, and a single DP311 receiver. I am able to view programs from Sat 119, but not 110 as the signal goes in and out constantly. I have had this configuration for almost 4 years now with no problems. A tech told me the dish is aimed perfectly. I had branches cut from a tree across the street to ensure no interference, but it did nothing to change the status. Could my LNBF be bad? What can I do to test it? Thanx.

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I would get the service plan and ask for a service call.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I'm guessing you mean you have a DP Twin LNB:

[​IMG]

A DP Dual is a single LNB with 2 outputs:

[​IMG]

Anyway, if your signal is intermittent, and you don't have something blocking your LOS, then most likely it is a bad LNB, but I'd agree that you'd be best off having a service call. That way, no matter what the problem is, it will get fixed.

4. veterantech

veterantech Cool Member

Aug 31, 2010
    BMAC-

your problem sounds like LNB drift to me.

Press "Menu"

then "6"

then"1"

then "3"

let the diagnostic do its thing, if you have drift you will be alerted.

the simplest explanation about drift is that the LNB has gone crosseyed.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    The explanation of the 'drift' is LOF (local oscillator frequency) changed/changing from standard fixed values. This affect tuning to transponder's frequency and signal level when you select particular channel.