1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I make the remote's "on" "off" keys only work for the TV and exclude the HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Hansen, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    I have a "how do I do this (if it can be done)" type of question. I have the HR20-700 and using the RC64RB remote. On the remote are the two buttons on the top right that turn both the HR20 and TV "on" and "off". I want to know if I can change the function of these buttons so they only turn the TV "on" and "off" but do not effect the HR20 (so it is left on.) Any ideas?

Note: (The reason I want to do this is that we use the remote in RF mode and every once in a while when hitting off "someone" is not pointing it at the TV correctly and the TV does not see the IR signal which then leaves the TV "on" and the HR20 goes off. Since it goes to a black screen with the HR20 off, the user does not see they did not turn the TV off.)

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You can't.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    While it is on the DirecTV "option" on the remote... the on/off will control both.

You need to slide it to the TV option, to have the on/off only control the TV.

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Didn't think of that. Good catch.

5. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    Thanks. If I put it in that position, will I still be able to control all the functions of the HR20 (i.e. channel up/dn will function for HR20 rather than TV?) (I'd try it but not at home right now)

6. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca

No, the tv device is for TV commands, what little there are of them that are mapped.

7. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    I think this was discussed before.

Don't use the TV off button. Use the ON button only. If you mash the ON button only it should toggle your TV on and off. It will leave the HR20 on.

-mk

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Of course all of that presumes that the codes for your TV are correct. (Mine, in the bedroom, aren't.)

9. rawilson

rawilson AllStar

Oct 9, 2007
    That worked for me too...with a Sharp Aqous TV

10. IjustWannaPlay

IjustWannaPlay Mentor

Aug 11, 2007
    Nice idea, but this does not work for me.

When I hot the "off" button, only the HR20 turns off. The TV turns off when I hit the "off" button a second time. Is this working as designed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.