1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I network my HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SPACEMAKER, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I have Comcast internet with a Motorola SB5120 modem.

Running between my Comcast modem and my computer I have a Vonage VT2142-VD modem (also Motorola).

My phone and fax are connected directly into my Vonage modem. My computer and modems are on the nowhere near my HR20.

I would like to connect my HR20 to the internet and phone line so that I can take advantage of DoD and caller ID but I really have no idea how to go about doing this. I am guessing I will need some kind of wireless router but I don't know anything about them or how to configure them or even what type of router I will need.

Is there a simple way to do this? I am not particularly computer savvy so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

2. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I should mention that connecting a phone line to my DVR is not something I am overly concerned with. If it's too much trouble then I don't want to do it.

3. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    It's not much trouble really.
    Connect one end of the phone wire into a phone outlet and connect the other end of the phone wire into the DVR phone connector.

4. wildbill129

wildbill129 Godfather

Dec 22, 2006
    My assumption is the distance from your internet set up makes running a cable prohibitive. Or maybe ugly?

If that is the case, yes a wireless router to broadcast the signal and a wireless to ethernet converter like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Technology-AirStation-Converter-WLI-TX4-G54HP/dp/B000BNDEZY

As far as the phone line goes, does your Vonage let you use any type of phone or just theirs?

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The Buffalo isn't a good choice right now, as they have an injunction which prevents them from distributing any more (the Amazon price reflects the shortage). There are several other brands available, check this thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=99327. Another option would be to use HomePlug networking, which uses the electric lines in your house. Directv has about the best prices (HD DVR Networking Kit).

I also have Vonage and run the phone output into the telephone wiring in my house (I disconnected the wires going to Qwest). Caller ID works fine with my HR20 and HR21.

6. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    But my phone outlet is the Vonage modem which is right next to my computer. My wall jacks are worthless.

7. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Running coax across the house isn't an option. I have a standard cordless phone. To be honest, I don't think I even really care about having a phone line connected to by DVR.

8. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I will check it out.

Thanks to all of you who've offered some help here.:)

9. wildbill129

wildbill129 Godfather

Dec 22, 2006
    strange about the Buffalo. My buddy has one, says it's the best thing since sliced bread.......I just looked at their website, pretty silly......you could also go with Netgear's:

http://netgear.com/Products/Adapters/GWirelessAdapters/WGE111.aspx

As Bob said, you could back feed your phone line, but disconnect the incoming line from the phone company. Your other choice is the homeplug or wireless phone line extender kits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.