1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How do I see a show's first run date in the guide?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rrr12, Aug 13, 2013.

1. rrr12

rrr12 New Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Sacto, CA
    I just switched over from Dish.... and have a newbie question...

I have a Directv HR24-500 receiver, with a RC65X remote.

When I look thru the guide list (after pressing the guide button on the remote), I don't see a month+day+year date that a show was first aired, just the year is shown. For example, the display in the guide for today's Dr OZ show says '2013'. On Dish, the date would show up as 'Aug 2, 2013'. A date showing only the year is not very helpful. In this example, Dr OZ's show happens nearly everyday. How do I tell if a show if 'new' or a rerun from earlier in the year? (they both would have '2013' dates showing in the guide).

Is there a way to show the date like Dish's guide does? I called Directv and the helpful customer service rep said it's not possible. Great. This is a big difference (well, at least to me!) between Direct and Dish :-(

Does it require a different Directv receiver?

thanks!

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    If you select the program and go one level, you'll see the firstl air date.

3. rrr12

rrr12 New Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Sacto, CA
    Ok... I tried this: open the guide, select a show, then select 'info' while in the show... then select 'more info'. The first aired date with mm/dd/yyyy now is displayed.
    Is that what you mean dennisj00?

Is there any other way besides drilling down into each show.. time consuming......

thanks for the help

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    If I'm playing a program, I can go to the guide and select a program. . . I get the info page with the current program in the PIG. On the info page is the First Aired date.

5. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    That's the way to do it.

6. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    It would be nice just to have the word "New" in the header discription so we would know its a first run or most current episode.

I agree, hitting info a couple of times and then scrolling to the bottom to check the date can be annoying.

A simple New in the first sentence of program info would suffice.

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, and Info->More Info while a show is airing gets you to the same place. You can also do so in the To Do list; pretty handy.

Please also note that the info displayed is only as good as its source, usually Tribune Media Services, which provides the same info to Dish.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Who'd provide that tag and who'd stand up when the info is wrong? Would "new" be "first time shown on directv"? First time in US? Lots of problems with no easy answers.

9. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Who'd provide that tag and who'd stand up when the info is wrong? Would "new" be "first time shown on directv"? First time in US? Lots of problems with no easy answers.

Fios has a new in its guide. Might be useful if it weren't so small. But it is only useful once. Not on reruns.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

10. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Brighthouse,Uverse and Tom,Dick and Harry as well have the word new in their info Header in the guide.

Laxguy is overcomplicating the matter.

New = First Network airing.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Brighthouse,Uverse and Tom,Dick and Harry as well have the word new in their info Header in the guide.

Laxguy is overcomplicating the matter.

New = First Network airing.

If only that is the way it worked to define it as new.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

12. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Directv's guide is the only guide I have personally seen that doesn't say "new" for new episodes. Personally, I do not care because the only shows I would care if the episodes were new are the ones I have set to DVR. The "R" in the guide tells me its new. I realize that's not an answer. I would think that it's assumed that "new" refers to the first time a program airs in the country you're in. I think "new" would be a great add to the guide. As well as something to tell you if a game is blacked out or not before it's actually on.

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Unfortunately, new does not mean first time in country although it should.

14. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    At the very least, if the word "New" in the info heading is to hard to comprehend,Directv should at least show the "First Air date" in the info header summary and not at the tail end where you have to hit info a couple of times to see it.

15. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC

16. ep1974

ep1974 Legend

May 22, 2010
    Off topic a bit, but curious as to how the appearance of the Dish guide compares to Directv's?? Which do you prefer??

17. rrr12

rrr12 New Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Sacto, CA
    I've only have Directv for 2 weeks. but so far I like the Dish guide better:

1) Dish clearly show's the 'original air date' in the high level description, without needing to dig into levels of info/buttons. One could argue the meaning of 'original air date', but that's a different topic. I rarely had issues with the 'original air date' being inaccurate with Dish.

2) Maybe I need to learn more about the Directv dvr features/control, but finding what's recorded on the Dish dvr is simpler than with Direct's dvr:
    With Dish, 2 pushes on the 'DVR' remote button shows me what I have recorded. With Direct, it's: Menu => Recordings => Playlist. Maybe not a big deal... but less button pushes the better ;-)

18. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Just push the List button on the remote, above and to the right of center of the arrow keys (only 1 button push :) )

19. majikmarker

majikmarker AllStar

Feb 27, 2005
    Arlington, WA
    Not sure if they have changed the remote as I have had my DVRs for awhile...there should be a List button. One press and you have your recorded playlist.

20. rrr12

rrr12 New Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Sacto, CA
    Thanks for the info... yes, my remote has the List button. Great forum. More info here than from the Directv 'customer service' folks ;-)
    Directv... are you listening???