1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do we de-bug TV?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by SayWhat?, Apr 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    After decades, Congress finally acted with a lip-service law to reduce volume on commercials. Something that probably wasn't needed and has had little or no noticeable effect so far. I'm not sure it's even gone into effect yet.

Far more annoying and obtrusive are the on-screen ads within programs. They used to be just a simple translucent station/network ID graphic. Now, in addition to those are opaque, full color, full motion mini-programs/promos taking up 30% or so of the screen, obliterating significant portions of the scheduled programs.

When will Congress or the FCC act to ban these?

2. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Congress and the FCC can not act fast enough for me.

I did not mind it when it was a little logo in the corner of the screen but we are far from that today..

3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Geez, is that really necessary? I think we've got far bigger problems to deal with as a country than TV ads... :confused:

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah... In terms of major issues... this one isn't even a blip on the radar. It isn't even a bug in the corner of the screen of real life!

I don't like the intrusions... but realize they are partly necessary to fund the networks that bring me the shows I like... and I can always buy these shows later on Blu-ray or DVD to get the bug-free versions.

The only time I'm truly bothered... is when the bug or ad covers up a subtitle or something else actually important to the scene being played out on screen.

5. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Yeah... In terms of major issues... this one isn't even a blip on the radar.

Neither was Volume, but I think this is more annoying than that. As a viewer, you can turn Volume down, you can't remove a bug.

6. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Don't misunderstand me, though... I don't like the bugs... or that they seem to be getting worse rather than better...

but it is so low down the list of things to complain about, that I really can't put much effort into complaining.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    TV shows used to be largely funded by ads. But since so many people are using DVRs to bypass those ads run in between the shows, networks have had to find ways to get you to see those ads somehow, and so now, they run them at the same time as the show.

It sucks, but ultimately, you're never going to get anything for free.

8. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Exactly...

I'll take this model over everything being PPV... and then I can choose to purchase the Blu-rays/DVDs of things I want to own later... but for initial viewing I can watch them "free" for the most part and endure the ads and bugs.

9. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...

Cable channels are equally as bad (and in some cases worse) and by no means are those channels "free"

10. AttiTech

AttiTech Godfather

Feb 21, 2011
    Most irritating thing about watching a movie or tv show on tv, EVEEER :mad:

11. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Still...

A channel that I pay $10 per month or less for that has ads... is still cheaper than paying $5-$8 for a PPV of every single episode of a show or movie I want to see.

I much prefer to live with the bugs and ads to get more things to watch during the month... than if they took all those things away and made me pay $5 an episode to watch my favorite show each week.

12. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    But the bugs aren't advertising as such. They're self-serving promos, often for the program in progress or for an upcoming program.

13. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Exactly!

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Everyone has own opinion but our preferences come basically to two choices: 'to be or not to be' ?

I see the thread is missing a poll - would OP or Mods add it here ?

15. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That is the very definition of advertising... letting people know of something in hopes that their knowing will result in you making more money somehow.

More people see the bug, watch the program being advertised, then they can charge more for future advertising for that program airings.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    The thread was open to "de-bug TV", not to promote and not to defend those pesky annoyances. :(
    Would it be more sided with us, consumers ?

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I see advertising as something a third party pays to air, although I've heard that may be coming in the not too distant future.

Do we really want to see mesotheliowhatever lawyer ads superimposed on screen over a current program?

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    HELL, NO !!!

19. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The answer to the thread title .. Buy the DVD!

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Or better Blu-Ray disks ... "Say no to the 'cannibals' of our TV screens !"