1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you get national feeds of major networks?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by JerryElbow, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryElbow

JerryElbow Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    My in-laws live in Las Cruces, NM and I'm trying to convince them it's well worth getting off cable and on to DirecTV. According to the DirecTV site, they get NO local channels in HD. Does this automatically allow them to access the national HD feeds for the major networks? Or do they have to get waivers from the local carriers (who MAY say no as they might be carried by the local cable provider)? If they CAN get the national HD feeds (which I'm assuming would be west coast feeds for them), what all networks are included? And if waivers are needed, how difficult is that process?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    DirecTV's web site will tell them if they qualify for "distant network" feeds based on their zip code. If they don't qualify, then they'll need to request waivers. It's very hard to get those any more.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Litzdog is right that the waiver process is time consuming and difficult. All the parties involved -- the TV stations, etc -- have to agree to waive their right to exclusive coverage, and why would they?

Essentially if your inlaws can get regular locals over the satellite they will have a very uphill battle.

4. jrd4849

jrd4849 Mentor

May 24, 2007
    Tennessee
    Go to this site: DirecTV DNS Eligibility and input the complete address. The lower part of the resulting page should show your HD DNS eligibility. If any of the HD DNS networks show "eligible" then you are in good shape. Just call DirecTV and ask for a CSR for DNS. They can get the service turned on quickly. If the networks show class A or B service then you will need waivers. DirecTV will submit the waivers for you and it may take up to 45 days. If the service shown is Class B you may have a chance getting the waiver. If Class A forget it. You will need an OTA antenna in that case. There is no charge for HD DNS if you subscribe to the HD access package.

5. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    Before the locals became available, and even before the distants became NY and LA exclusively, I had to get waivers.

The Clarksburg, WV NBC station, while physically closer, is not in my DMA (I get Pittsburgh locals). I still had to get a waiver from them. They actually sent an engineer to my house with an antenna and signal meter. He stood in my front yard and took readings.

6. JerryElbow

JerryElbow Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I checked this with their address and they do not qualify for getting the national feeds, even though DirecTV is also NOT carrying any local channels in HD for their area. Since more than half of what they watch is on the "big" networks, I really can't recommend DirecTV for them. Oh well, maybe when D11 goes up they'll get their locals in HD...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.