1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How do you put the receiver in rf mode with out entering the menu ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mrjussellr, Jan 11, 2013.

1. mrjussellr

mrjussellr Cool Member

Jul 3, 2010
    How do you put the receiver in rf mode with out entering the menu ?

I know there is a way. I saw my son do it twice. When my son does this i have to use my cell phone to fix it. All of my receivers are in the garage, this rules out using the front panel. So I used the android remote app and found it in IR mode in the menu. I was watching him he was in the guide once and on live tv once.

Also is there a way to get the H25 out of "your tv cables are not HD " without a remote ? IE: The receivers in in RF mode and you dont have a remote you can program to RF.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Hold mute + select on the remote until the light at the top flashes. Then press 961 followed by channel up. Then enter the last 6 digits of the receiver ID and press select.

3. mrjussellr

mrjussellr Cool Member

Jul 3, 2010
    I think you missunderstood my question.

How do you put the RECIEVER in rf mode with out using the menu.

I have seen this happen several times; The receiver is in RF mode and the person puts it IR and vice versa , pushing and holding something on the remote causes this

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I'm not aware of any way to put the Receiver in RF mode except by following the menus in the Remote Setup menu, either with the DirecTV Remote (still in IR mode), or via the Receiver's front panel buttons.

5. mrjussellr

mrjussellr Cool Member

Jul 3, 2010

How about how to take it out of "HD mode" without a exit button.

Will the BIST facory reset set it back to IR ?

6. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Oh, you can't. You have to go through the menus to put the receiver in RF mode.

7. mrjussellr

mrjussellr Cool Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Its been done I've seen my child do it. Some button on the remote takes from RF to IR, Or IR to RF mode if held long enough .

What I would really like is a way to take a HD receiver out of HD mode without a remote, then you could use the front buttons to navigate the menu.

8. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Has your son received his acceptance letter from Hogwarts Academy yet? :)

9. mrjussellr

mrjussellr Cool Member

Jul 3, 2010
    lol I know I thought the same thing! If I wasnt looking at the guide on the screen and the only rf remote still in RF in his hands i wouldnt have believed it.

Used my phone to navigate to the menu to change it from IR back to RF.

The problem I ran into recently wasnt my install.
    It was a h25 connected using composite cables.
    It was a non networked H25 in RF mode. The person owned no RF remotes and before it went to RF mode it was put in HD mode

The Person had no HD tvs in the house.

10. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Change it to any non HD channel ie, 1, 201, 253 etc.

There is no way to toogle RF/IR with the remote.

11. mrjussellr

mrjussellr Cool Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Correct me if im wrong.. Changing channels would work for resolution native mode not "HD Mode" ?

12. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Thats likely true. Did they also uncheck all the available resolutions, so that you cant use the front panel res button to step down to 480.

13. mrjussellr

mrjussellr Cool Member

Jul 3, 2010
    The resolutions selection is not availible if you can not get to the menu becuase of the "tv cables not hd error". You can not clear the error if you don't have a working remote to press and hold exit on.

enabling/disabling resolutions will not make the "hd cables" error go away when in HD mode with sd cables.

The front panel didnt cause the issue the person put it in "hd mode" by pressing and holding the exit button. Then put it in RF mode some how with the remote.

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I don't know if this will work, "but" if the H25 works like the C31 does, "then":
    press and hold the power button on the front panel for a good 15 sec, or until it reboots.
    This is how you get a C31 out of a state like this H25 is in.

15. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    Use this and fool the DTV and ther intrusive B.S.in your living room !