1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you search for upcoming shows?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by chazworth, Apr 30, 2010.

1. chazworth

chazworth New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    I am new to DirecTV (since last fall), and I really like the service and the DVR. A couple of things really bug me, though. The issue with the "Channels I get" filter showing channels that I don't get is one. I know that this is a long-time frustration.

The second thing that bugs is the inability to perform a proper search for upcoming shows. I know that the onscreen search capabilities were recently upgraded, and they do work much better than before. However, it is very tedious using the remote to type and use the onscreen search, so I rarely use it. My preference is to use the online (web) search capability to find shows. However, when using the online search, it is so basic as to be almost useless. General flaws include: No ability to limit the search to categories (kids, movies, sports, etc.), No ability to drill down further from an initial search, the search seems to find shows that I don't subscribe to. In general, it is rudimentary and lame. As a result, we use the DVR far less frequently than we would if we could do good, power searches.

Am I alone in my frustration? How do you use the search functionality to make it work for your needs? Any planned upgrades from DirecTV that you are aware of?

2. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    There have been MAJOR improvements in the CIG problem, and it actually appears they may be moving in on a true fix for it.

As for the search, you can use 'tripple tap' like you do for sending a text message on your phone...

press the number 2, two times for a 'b', or the number 3, three times for a 'f'

between that, and the 'show upcoming' from any program that is in the guide it will show any other airings of that program in the next X days weeks your IRD has guide data for.

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    The channels I get function appears to be getting worked on now and it seems to be improving.

As far as the search function goes on the receivers I don't expect to see much more changes there (at least not as far as imputting names). You do realize you can move the cursor around to the letters and hit enter, or you can type the letters in using the number pad on your remote like you would texting from a cell phone (hit the number 7 four times and it enters "S", hit the number 3 twice and it will enter "E", hit the nuber 2 once and it will enter "A") and while you are doing this the search will begin performing on the right hand side of the screen. It really isn't that difficult or time consuming.

The website search isn't the greatest, but it does work decent if you are away from home. There is also a mobile website, and apps for many cell phones that can be used as well.

4. chazworth

chazworth New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Good to hear about the CIG. Improving that would help a lot. Thanks for the suggestion on the multi-tap for the onscreen guide. I recently obtained an iPod Touch, so I will have to check out the scheduling app.

An example of something that I would like to be able to do would be to find movies for my pre-teen daughters. I would like to be able to use an advanced web search to perform a query that would show movies that match criteria such as (Rated G or PG, released on the last 5 years, the movies should be included in my current DirecTV package (no PPV, etc.), and maybe options for various genres.

Even better, why not have features that are common on websites such as Emusic, Pandora, Rhapsody, etc. where the search service is able to suggest movies and shows based on your history or preferences or what similar people are doing?

As I imagine that all of this metadata exists, it seems trivial to create a more advanced search and would be extremely valuable to many users.

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I think there is now a suggestion feature built in. If you select a movie and look at it's info screen I think there is a find similar or something like that option that will find other movies/TV shows. I'm not 100% sure though as I haven't really used it.