1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you set up DishComm?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by saltrek, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 7, 2007 #1 of 21
    saltrek

saltrek Godfather

Oct 22, 2005
    I did a search and couldn't find this, and it doesn't appear to be part of the 622 review, since it was not an active feature at that time.

I have 2 622's, with one connected to a phone line. What are the set-up procedures/settings for the 622 connected to the phone line - and what are the set-up procedures/settings for the "remote" 622?

Any help is appreciated. if there is already a discussion on this, please point me to it, thanks.

2. Jul 8, 2007 #2 of 21
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    MENU 6, 1, 8 and the 622 will search for other DishComm units on the same electrical circuit.

Some remodeled homes have a split electrical system. If the other unit is on a different branch of the power companies grid (i.e, one on one 110v. half of a 220 circuit and the other on the other half), it will not be found.

3. Jul 8, 2007 #3 of 21
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    The other caveat to is if you have you 622s hooked up to a surge protector, power conditionar, UPS they will most likely not be able to find each other.

4. Jul 8, 2007 #4 of 21
    AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know the manner in which the 622 uses the AC circuit for its communications functions. But if it uses the zero-crossing interval like X10 products do, then there may be a solution -- X10, PowerHouse, etc. makes pathway bridging devices that mount in your breaker box for curing those split circuit situations. Whether or not such a device would work for the 622 is another matter.

5. Jul 8, 2007 #5 of 21
    ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    They also make a device that plugs into your dryer 220 plug that will brigde the two 110 sides. As AVJohnnie says, I'm not sure if that will help the Dish receivers but it does help the X10 communications if your house splits the incoming 220 circuit into two seperate 110 legs.

6. Jul 8, 2007 #6 of 21
    Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I bought one of those but it only made matters worse. Don't know why, should have asked for my money back but didn't and it is now in a box in the garage.:(

7. Jul 9, 2007 #7 of 21
    saltrek

saltrek Godfather

Oct 22, 2005
    I went through the set-up menu and neither unit "finds" the other one. I didn't know if I was missing a step, or something. I do use surge protectors, so that is the most likely cause. Thanks for the replies - just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

8. Jul 9, 2007 #8 of 21
    cyclone27

cyclone27 AllStar

Feb 1, 2006
    Is Dishcomm enabled yet?
    I tried setting my receivers up with it about a month ago & it didn't work. I called E* & they said it would be a few months before it would be available. Thanks.

9. Jul 9, 2007 #9 of 21
    tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    It was enabled on ViP622's with l4.01. Lots of problems with HomePlug (which is what dishcomm is) if you are using most surge protectors and any UPS. Sometimes houses have split power supplies that also can cause problems.

Note there are several HomePlug certified surge protectors, but they are a bit expensive.

10. AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    At present each of my 622s are plugged into "Power Sentry" brand protector strips (the large AV version Costco used to carry in their stores) and the Dishcomm works – Well, at least the Dishcomm setup on each 622 finds the other receiver. But since they are both connected to Telco jacks as well (and there's no need for them not to be), I can't really say whether or not Dishcomm is really working "as advertised" on my configuration.

11. isuzudave

isuzudave AllStar

Sep 29, 2006
    I have two 622s using Dishcomm. I had to remove them from the surge protectors. The receiver that is not plugged into a phone line must have the modem type set to remote. I think it is "menu, 6, 1, 4".

12. allargon

allargon Legend

May 2, 2007
    Call me nutty, but what are the benefits of DishCOMM?

I have a 622 and a 625. Can I transfer SD programs from the 625 to the 622?

13. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Nope..

The benefit is the ability to share a phone connection. Ofcourse not all receivers support DishComm. But going forward more will and it will allow you to only have one DishComm enabled receiver hooked to the phone line and all the other receivers share the connection and don't have to have seperate phone connections.

It is handy if you have a receiver in a room with no phone line. But it comes with the caveats listed above.

14. allargon

allargon Legend

May 2, 2007
    I do have such an issue. However, I'm leery of frying my receiver/DVR plus any equipment next to it just to save on an additional phone jack. :nono2:

Thanks for the info, Ron. I will pass on DishComm.

15. jkinghome

jkinghome Mentor

Mar 15, 2006
    I have (I think) set up my Vip622s for DishComm - both see each other. One of them is attached to the phone line, shouldn't I be able to get caller ID on the one that isn't attached? Also, how do I know that the one that is not attached to the phone line will not get the extra DVR fee?

Thanks!

16. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    You must also set the modem type as remote in your phone system menu (menu 6 1 4). Make sure you also test it.

17. jkinghome

jkinghome Mentor

Mar 15, 2006
    :( Tried that, and no joy... any more ideas?

18. Miner

Miner Legend

Oct 29, 2004
    Fellas,

Unless I'm missing something, almost all homes in the US have 220 volt systems split into 2 110 circuits. At least all the homes I've checked out in the last dozen years or so.

Miner

19. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    You either subscribe to AEP (no DVR fee) or you don't ($5.98 for each extra DVR). IOW, the DVR fee has nothing to do with the phone line. Each extra receiver has an additional outlet or lease fee that you can't get out of. Each dual output receiver also has a program access fee which can be waived if it is connected to a phone line, either directly or via DishCOMM.

20. jkinghome

jkinghome Mentor

Mar 15, 2006
    Thanks - I obviously stated the wrong phrase... and I stand corrected
    but doesn't help my question on why DishCOMM isn't working...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.