1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does DirecTV decide which channel to record?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by kbxm, Apr 8, 2013.

1. kbxm

kbxm AllStar

Mar 15, 2007
    Just lookin' to see if anyone can explain how this works, but how does DirecTV determine which channel to record when the auto-record is used for sports channels?

Reason why I'm asking is this: I recently set DirecTV to record several sporting events by keyword. This has worked flawlessly in the past, but something's changed. For example, I usually set it for "Minnesota Wild" and "Minnesota Twins". In the past, it recorded the games without an issue from FSN or whatever channel we received, be it an RSN alternate or whatever, it just worked.

Now however, it gets it wrong EVERY TIME. This last couple of weeks, it's picked everything BUT the correct channel, leaving me with recordings that have nothing in them while completely skipping the correct channel.

More specific example: last night. Game was on some RSN alt, FSN Wisconsin and FSN. The receiver went to the RSN alt, realized it wasn't getting that channel and dropped to FSN WI, same thing, then stopped. Didn't even try FS North. When I came down to watch, I found two empty recordings and nothing from the correct channel, missed 2/3 of the game.

Is there something I can set or something I can do to get this thing to record correctly again? I have several receivers and NONE work anymore when ALL worked before. My neighbor's ComCast system gets it right as did my DTV system in the past.

It doesn't seem like a huge programming feat to check the ZIP against whatever they use and see if it's correct. For example, my Minne ZIP would tell the unit; "Hey don't record from Altitude, I don't get that" etc.

I'm paying enough for these "advanced receivers" and they don't seem that advanced to me anymore. Nobody at DTV's helpline can give me an explanation or fix, hoping some of the experts here know something.

Thx in Advance.

2. georule

georule Hall Of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    I use the series manager to set the autorecords in the preference order I want for Wild recordings by channel#. So NBCSN is always at the top, then FSN, NHLN, Kare 11, then a couple of the likely alts where FSN+ might show up. Seems to work out reasonably well except when the alt for FSN+ isn't one they've used before.

I think I started out not using channel# in the my auto records and had the same kind of issue you're describing where I'd likely get the blacked out RSN feed of the other team.

3. FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    I take no chances and set everything up 1 at a time. I get the feed I want and can check for conflicts.

4. jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey Legend

Feb 28, 2008
    Why not do a Boolean search for the Twins since every game this year but 4 are on FSN (there are 8 that arent televised at all)...

I have mine set up a such
    AALL TWINS EVENTS LIVE CCHANS 668

I get the Twins games on 668 and only the live games (not reruns)

for the Wild its tougher as they use FSN North + too (the Twins dont). Those games I just set timers for as the games come up

http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/Advanced Search FAQ.pdf

5. georule

georule Hall Of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    Yeah, that's the direction I was going. I don't bother with AALL and LIVE tho.

So like

MINNESOTA WILD CCHAN 220
    MINNESOTA WILD CCHAN 668
    MINNESOTA WILD CCHAN 11
    MINNESOTA WILD CCHAN 652

I think you can only have a maximum of 50 series records however, so that can be an issue for some people.

And FSNorth Plus hops around. This year it is has been at least three different channel numbers, so you have to pay attention on that one.

6. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I don't use Booleans to autorecord. I use them more like FLWingNut. Use them as searches and select what I want to record. How hard is that? And that way you get exactly what you want and only what you want. Not everything has to be "set it and forget it."

7. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Don't know if you have Wild games that end up being exclusive on NHLN. If you do, you may want to add 215. For my Sabres games, I use AALL SABRES CCHAN 215 220 which gets NHLN and NBCSN and prevents you from using 2 series slots. I have all my games as set and forget and it works flawlessly.

8. Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    Didn't they recently drop CCHAN in favor of CCHANS? Seems like I read about the old CCHAN still working in some instances and not in others. Might want to use CCHANS as it can be used with a single channel or a range.

http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/Advanced Search FAQ.pdf