1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does OTA work with MRV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by cover, Jul 20, 2010.

1. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    If I record a program from OTA (using an AM21) on a DVR, will I be able to watch that recording on any receiver that is connected with MRV?

Just want to make sure that will work before I order.

Thanks!

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Yep. Just another set of tuners.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    OTA on the DECA/SWM setup is no problem at all. I could see issues with an unsupported wireless or powerline setup because of the higher bandwidth.

4. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Thanks - just out of curiosity, do you happen to know how much bandwidth is available on the DECA network?

I'm not far from having Gigabit Ethernet everywhere I would need it anyhow. I think I read that it is officially unsupported by DTV, but wondering if I'd be better off using it instead of DECA.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I forget the number but it's more than enough for any reasonable need.

Personally I think you'll be happier with DECA, it's simpler in that it "just works." A lot of folks have no problems with gigabit ethernet, because they're networking wizards. Some regular folks have it work for them, some don't.

6. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Thanks - I do like things that "just work".

Unfortunately, I haven't really felt that way about DirecTV since the DirecTiVo went away and MPEG 4 forced me to the HR2x series. Now I'm just glad when it "mostly works". I had high hopes for the HR24, but not off to an auspicious start I'm afraid.

If you don't see any advantage with GigE, I'll go with the supported DECA. I am tired of battling bunches of cables :)

Thanks for your help and advice.