1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How exactly do I use a SW21 switch?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by ZeKs, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 6, 2007 #1 of 20
    ZeKs

ZeKs Cool Member

May 6, 2007
    Every time I use one of these switches I don't get any reception. If I connect the cable directly to the receiver I get reception from all transponders. So at the moment, depending on the channel I want to see, I'm switching cables back and forth.

Usually I have to play with the switches itself to get some sort of signal. Like for some reason If I screw the cable in completely I get NO signal, If I leave the end of the cable slightly unscrewed I start seeing some signal and even then its very low somewhere in the 40 percent range.

Also how can I check if I have a bad sw21 switch? In my case, 3 total. :(

Some info...

DISH 500 - Want to connect to 110 and 119
    I have 2 single dual LNB (I believe that correct)
    Receivers: 301 and DVR 522 (currently have the 301 active)

I also bought the DVR 522 thinking since it has 2 connections for satellite in the back I would eliminate this whole switch thing and connect them directly, but that just wasn't the case :mad: :mad:

If there is another way to do this, I'm open for options. Other than calling Dish themselves. :D

2. May 6, 2007 #2 of 20
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It sounds like the SW21s are not working right ...
    Do your "dual" LNBs have a Dishpro logo on them or are they legacy?

3. May 6, 2007 #3 of 20
    ZeKs

ZeKs Cool Member

May 6, 2007
    Yeah they are legacy, no dish pro logo. How can I check if they are bad....I just got 2 from ebay, brand new but I could of messed them up already. I read somewhere after I did this, that I need to install the switches with the receiver off and disconnected. :nono:

4. May 6, 2007 #4 of 20
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A SW21 takes the feed from two separate legacy LNBs and combines them into one feed for one receiver. Feed the "to dish" input 1 to one LNB and "to dish" input two to the other. Connect the "to receiver" input to the receiver.

On your 301 go to Menu-6-1-1 and do a check switch. The process is long but when finished the receiver should recognize that you have a SW21 and the feeds that are attached.

If all else fails go back to eBay and get yourself a DishPro TWIN LNB that picks up both 119° and 110° and gives you two outputs ... one cable fed to your 301 will do better than legacy equipment.

BTW: You mentioned getting 40's with the SW21 inline ... what do you get when the SW21 isn't there?

5. May 6, 2007 #5 of 20
    ZeKs

ZeKs Cool Member

May 6, 2007
    I've done that is so many times, and always comes back with nothing. Unknown switch and no reception.

For example what would be the correct way to install one?

Also, I am correct that the 522 needs a switch before connecting to tuner 1?

Are the switches that vulnerable, that If I connected them while the power was on and power outlet was connected that they might of shorted out?

6. May 6, 2007 #6 of 20
    ZeKs

ZeKs Cool Member

May 6, 2007
    80+ some transponders over 100, when connected directly to receiver whether is 110 or 119.

7. May 6, 2007 #7 of 20
    ZeKs

ZeKs Cool Member

May 6, 2007
    Forgot to mentioned that when I first install one of the sw21 switches last night it was working!! :) Called in dish to activate my 522 but couldn't because it was still active under radio shack account (was a demo unit that i got very cheap) I need to called them and have them deactivate it. So I ended up disconnecting it and hooking it up back to my 301 and then it didn't work. :mad:

8. May 6, 2007 #8 of 20
    ZeKs

ZeKs Cool Member

May 6, 2007
    James, this is what you meant correct?

http://www.dishdepot.com/lnbfs.jsp
    If I purchase this. Scroll down a bit. - - - - > DISH Network DISHPro Twin LNBF

The cable that connects directly to the LNBF, goes directly to my receiver correct? Eliminating switches all together? Also this LNBF allows me to have 2 receivers? Can I also use my 522 receiver, if I intend to only use 1 of the outputs?

If linking is not allowed to other sites, please feel free to edit my post.

9. May 6, 2007 #9 of 20
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That would be the one ... although much better prices can be found if you don't mind the risk of eBay (some people don't know what they are selling and may mislabel their auctions or intentionally commit fraud).

The signal levels are a bit low ... what cable lengths do you have to the dish? Are you using RG-59 or RG-6 cable? (The DP Twin requires "RG-6 tested to 2150MHz", if you go that route, but gives higher signal strengths.)

10. ZeKs

ZeKs Cool Member

May 6, 2007
    Im not sure, but I dont get great levels when connected directly.

Now I think Im going with the Dish Pro Twin LNB, but I do have 1 question regarding this...is my current Y bracket compatible with the DISH Pro Tiwn LNB?

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yes ... the spacing is the same.

12. djdavis75

djdavis75 Cool Member

Jan 25, 2007
    If you ever want to use the 522 & 301 at the same time I would highly recommend getting a DishPro Plus Twin. You will never be able to use both receivers, unless you buy a switch, with just a regular DishPro Twin as the 522 will require both ports on the DishPro Twin. You will also need a DishPro Plus separator to go behind the 522 if you go the DishPro Plus route.

I sell this setup, DPP Twin + Separator, for $45.00, so that should give you a ball park on what it should cost.

13. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
  14. ZeKs

ZeKs Cool Member

May 6, 2007
    So I got me a dish pro quad lnb instead...so far so good. My 301 and 522 work, or at least get both satellites when the test is ran. Now I have a question on an older receiver, that is not working as it should. Model 3900. When I run the test it get 1 satellite...is it not compatible?

15. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    3900 is a Legacy receiver and is not compatible with Dish Pro LNBs. You can buy Dish Pro adaptors for Legacy equipment but it is usually cheaper to buy a DP receiver.:)

16. ZeKs

ZeKs Cool Member

May 6, 2007
    Thank you. All I needed to know, I thought I did something wrong again. No need once I can activate my 522 and going to replace the 3900 with my 301. Thanks to everyone for your help! :) :)

17. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Or, if you needed to keep the 3900 active, you could get a legacy Quad instead of the DP version.

18. yardbird

yardbird Mentor

May 7, 2007
    I KNOW I have at least 2 receivers in my basement that were deactivated with Dish and have legitimate cards in them. Let me take a look and see what they actually are and maybe I can help ya out.

19. ZeKs

ZeKs Cool Member

May 6, 2007
    So what are they?

The 522 is looking like a bust already, I might end up returning it. Been contacting radioshack so they can deactivate it(demo unit that was on sale), but all im getting is the run around.

20. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.