DBSTalk Forum banner

How far can they take Moca?

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  fornold 
#1 ·
Had a customer remark it would be nice if the 'list' feature on her MRV'd DirecTV system also brought up the menu on her Blu-Ray.

LOL, pretty good idea, wonder if they are working on it? Handy to watch the blu ray in the living room from the bedroom and have the DirecTV remote shoot the control signals thru the whole home system too.

:grin:

#3 ·
gov said:
Had a customer remark it would be nice if the 'list' feature on her MRV'd DirecTV system also brought up the menu on her Blu-Ray.

LOL, pretty good idea, wonder if they are working on it? Handy to watch the blu ray in the living room from the bedroom and have the DirecTV remote shoot the control signals thru the whole home system too.

Firstly I think the "they" would need to be more than just DIRECTV working to implement such a scheme, but the manufactures of the BR player or other devices as well.

And what needs extended is not really MoCA (except for the BR or other device to communicate on DIRECTV's MoCA E band of 475-625 MHz), but the higher level RVU protocol to allow the clients to communicate with multiple RVU servers on a network.

I don't know if that's even feasible.

#5 ·
gov;3195803 said:

Hmmm if you google Directv and RVU you will find a lot of press releases about some blu ray players being RVU clients which would make them Genie clients. I think Sony made an announcement at CES.

#6 ·
mattgwyther said:
Hmmm if you google Directv and RVU you will find a lot of press releases about some blu ray players being RVU clients which would make them Genie clients. I think Sony made an announcement at CES.
Yes they did, as "clients." But what the TS is referring to here needs to be the other way around where the Blu Ray player would have to be an RVU server like the Genie.

And I don't recall anyone mentioning that the RVU protocol is compatible with operating multiple servers on the same network. Only multiple clients accessing one server.

#7 ·
mattgwyther said:
But that is the opposite of what it needed here. Adding the capability of using the Sony Blu-ray player as a server would reduce the number of Blu-ray players that Sony would sell. Rather than selling a Blu-ray player for both the living room and bedroom, the customer would only need to buy one for the living room and still be able to watch Blu-ray's in the bedroom.

Sony doesn't make money by selling fewer Blu-ray players. MRV works for DirecTV because they are selling a monthly service. They're not making money on the physical DVR's (aside from the $6 per month, which is the same that they are charging for RVU clients.

#8 ·
What somebody needs to build is something like an "RVU Slingbox." This would allow legacy devices to be adapted to deliver content across a network. Like a Slingbox, it would have to use IR remote blasters, but would not need to do the realtime re-encoding that a Slingbox does. All it would do is pack the digital A/V inside RVU packets. Then a Roku, a BluRay player or a DirecTV Hx2x unit could all be delivered to any RVU client device.

#9 ·
mattgwyther said:
We know other devices will be able to be clients, just look at samsung tv's. The question of if dtv receivers will ever be able to be clients for other rvu devices, I just kind of doubt it.

#10 ·
I think a better why to control multiple devices is with some sort of consolidated app to control all devices connect to your network. I can control my TV, DirecTV DVR, and WD TV Plus via my Android smartphone. These are all separate apps, but there's no reason why a consolidated/customizable app developed for individual needs.

May Harmony could do this?

#12 ·
jdspencer said:
I think a better why to control multiple devices is with some sort of consolidated app to control all devices connect to your network. I can control my TV, DirecTV DVR, and WD TV Plus via my Android smartphone. These are all separate apps, but there's no reason why a consolidated/customizable app developed for individual needs.

May Harmony could do this?
iRule can do that with a little help for some devices that don't have IP control. Using this in my media room with an old iPad for the remote to control Blu-Ray, Projector, AVR, DirecTV and lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.