1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How go get Closed Captioning to work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by n3ntj, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Right now, the only way I can get CC to work is to go into the Menu, go into Display, turn on Captioning, and exit.

Why wouldn't closed captioning have to do with hitting the TV's MUTE button and not adjusting the HR20? Right now, I can get CC to work with the TV's volume on.

With my R10 (Tivo), when I press MUTE on the remote, it mutes the TV and automatically tells the R10 to turn on closed captioning. Why doesn't the HR20 do this (maybe this is a known bug)??

What about an option in the HR20 that allows the user to choose "Turn on CC when TV mute button pressed?". When the TV is muted, the HR20 automatically toggles on CC until the MUTE button is again pressed.. just an idea.

Matt

2. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
  3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Before you go off to that linked thread.

Your R10 does not do the Closed Captioning... It passes on the closed captioning information to your TV... when you mute, your TV must be built/set to automatically turn on Closed Captioning

4. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I didn't see what I am asking as an option.. ;-)

5. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    The difference is this:

Your R10 does not decode closed captioning, it merely passes the code to the TV, and the TV decodes the captioning stream. This isn't possible with the HR20 on the component or HDMI outputs (because that bandwidth is being used for picture quality, basically) and so the HR20 has its own closed captioning decoder. It renders the captioning on the screen as it would a menu or dialogue box and is totally independent of your TV's captioning decoder.

When you hit mute on the TV, it doesn't turn captioning on because it's not receiving any code for it--it's just getting nice picture. Were you to use the Svideo or composite outputs on the HR20, it would work like your R10, but then you'd only be showing a 480i picture on your HDTV, and what's the point of that? :)

Hope this helps.

Oh, and I'm not sure they'll add the option you want, because the mute button controls your TV or sound system, and not the HR20. It would have to do BOTH (mute the sound via your TV or system and then turn captions on via the HR20) to do what you want. That might be difficult--I dunno.

6. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    This is what I am asking for. When the HR20 sees that I am pressing the MUTE button (on the HR20's remote), the HR20 turns on CC, and the TV sees the signal and MUTES the volume. Isn't this how CC is supposed to work?!?!?

7. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Um...no. Closed captioning is supposed to provide sound cues and dialogue for people who're deaf or hard of hearing.

History of closed captioning: http://deafness.about.com/cs/featurearticles/a/historycaptions.htm

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    In addition, what would happen if either the HR20 or the TV saw the MUTE press but the other didn't. Then you would have the opposite of what you are looking for.

9. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    If I hit the MUTE button on the TV remote, it still sends a signal to the TV to tell it to mute the TV. I would guess this has to be the same code as the HR20 remote sends to the TV to also tell the TV to mute? Can't the HR20 see this mute signal and auto toggle on MUTE from the HR20 at the same time?

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Let's assume that YES, the HR20 and the TV can both see the MUTE press and YES, the HR20 could toggle CC while the TV toggles mute - that is what you desire, right?

What if the HR20 doesn't see the press (someone standing in the way, bad electricity, whatever), but the TV DOES see the press. Now you have a situation where the TV is muted, but the CC did not come on. On the next press (to figure out what is wrong), you get CC on and the volume on as the same time - NOT what you desired.

Since the Volume is controlled at the TV and the CC is controlled at the HR20 AND the TV and the HR20 do not communicate control information, there is no way to guarantee that you will not end up in the situation that I described. So, for the system to operate properly in a joe-sixpack environment you simply cannot have the feature that you are suggesting. I'll agree that yes, technically it can be done, but there is a bigger picture than that. In effect, it is not a viable feature.

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Exactly. And remember that the IR code your remote is sending out to mute your tv or amplifier is specific to that piece of equipment. Not a code the HR-20 is able to recognize.

It would be nice if there was a setup option to have mute control the audio output of the HR-20 instead of the tv or receiver. Then you could turn on captions automatically. That being said, I don't think that option could be implemented without changing to a different model of remote, because I believe these remotes are "hard wired" to marry the volume and mute buttons for a particular device, so it's all or nothing.

/steve

12. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    The MUTE function would be from the HR20 remote, so not program the HR20 to look for this MUTE code when sent to the TV...OR

As mentioned above, when the MUTE is pressed, MUTE the audio of the HR20 (not TV) and auto toggle on CC. My parent's have TW cable and this is exactly how their box works...CC and muting is done via the cable box, not TV.

That may be a better option easier to implement.

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    See my explanation above why you can't do that with the current remote. Volume and mute are tied to together. /steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.