1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good is HD?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by sbturner, May 8, 2005.

1. May 8, 2005 #1 of 25
    sbturner

sbturner Legend

Jul 24, 2002
    It may be a stupid question, but I have new Samsung 46" DLP and just watched a couple of DVDs that were anamorphic widescreen, no black bars, and they looked great. I have a 942 on order will HD really blow me away?

2. May 8, 2005 #2 of 25
    BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Maybe for a month and then after that HD will become the new standard to your eyes and you'll just be "used" to it. But anything less will start to tick you off ;)

3. May 8, 2005 #3 of 25
    Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    The best way I can describe good HD (and transfers can differ and sometimes it depends on the source) is like you're looking through a window. This is especailly true of sports--you'd think you had a presidential box seat.

4. May 8, 2005 #4 of 25
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    After more than a year, I still get a kick from HD.

SD has been ticking me off for years because of the compression.

5. May 8, 2005 #5 of 25
    bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    I concur with Nick 110%, HD is unbelievable! It has ruined me. I really get mad when a show I really want to watch comes on in SD instead of HD. Once you go HD, you never want to go back! OTA HD is da bomb. :D

6. May 8, 2005 #6 of 25
    pmsmith66

pmsmith66 AllStar

Feb 12, 2003
    I'm new to HD but what I've seen in the past week+ has been outstanding. Take your best quality DVD viewing experience and up it from there. I have a 56" Samsung DLP and it's just amazing. I find myself watching stuff I would have never had the interest to watch simply because of the experience. Only drawback is that SD material has become relatively more painful to watch. Although, to be fair, the 942 seems to produce a superior SD picture when compared to my 510 or 50x's. I'm finding that, although I have the Everything Pack, the poorer quality picture results in not wanting to watch it as often. I'll take that trade-off any day!

7. May 8, 2005 #7 of 25
    primo

primo New Member

Apr 29, 2005
    " I have a 942 on order will HD really blow me away?"

In a word: Yes!

You will be amazed - I even find myself watching the HD Demo channel occassionally... just because it's amazing.

:grin:

8. May 9, 2005 #8 of 25
    srbigbutt

srbigbutt Mentor

Apr 24, 2005
    They only problem with HD is that it changes your viewing habbits. Instead of watching my usual shows I watch whateve I can find in HD!

9. May 9, 2005 #9 of 25
    Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    HD rules. With all of our locals coming in HD over the OTA. We only usethe Sat locals for recording, dang we need more OTA tuners. There is such a big difference,, especially with NASCAR which I am starting to enjoy. The colors on the cars are beautiful and so much clearer , you can see the car and numbers all the way through the race,, and when they crank it up and boogity boogity boogity,, woohooo!!!. It makes the investment well worth it. The wife loves it during Colts football, the picture is awesome , even on zoomed out plays.

10. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Lets just say you will find yourself getting the balls to show off the Discovery Channel HD to your football buddies. :D

11. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    The WOW! effect of HDTV increases with screen size, particularly if you're viewing on a 16:9 receiver. On my 32" Sony 4:3 HD ready TV, it looks great. On a 42" or larger widescreen set, it looks phenomenal.

12. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005

You are so right...! I agree.... It looks great at the beginning, with time you expect them all to be as good and when you do not get the quality, you get very upset.

13. cruzer

cruzer New Member

May 16, 2005
    HD is the bomb! I was a Voomer and now have the 942, viewing on a 50"Fujitsu Plasma. I've been viewing HD since July and it never ceases to amaze me! Sports are great, but the majority of primetime local channels are also in HD. I normally wouldn't admit this, but watching the hotties last night on "Desperate House Wives" in HD was dreamy!

14. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    After getting HDTV, I do not watch SD unless it is a sports
    event not available in HD.

15. RLMesq

RLMesq Legend

Mar 9, 2003
    I have a Dish 942 and a Panasonic PT-AE700U projector arriving next week. Unfortunately, Speed Channel is not HD, so I won't be able to watch MotoGP and AMA Superbike in eye-popping 100 diagonal inch glory. :mad:

16. bobmcl

bobmcl AllStar

May 2, 2002
    What is a 942 Samsung? Please explain.

Thanks

17. sbturner

sbturner Legend

Jul 24, 2002
    The 942 is the new Dish reciever.

18. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The 942 is a dual-tuner HD receiver.

19. rdopso

rdopso Legend

Jan 26, 2004
    We have a new DishNetwork DVR 921 connected to a Denon AVR 3803 receiver and a 50-in Panasonic LCD TV (using all NHT speakers) and the sound and picture quality with HD and Dolby Digital 5.1 are absolutely incredible. At full 1080i one can stand a foot from the screen and its still like looking at a photograph. Too bad there is not all that much really good HD available at this time -- but go out and get HD anyway -- you won't regret it if you get the right equipment.

20. TonyB

TonyB Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2004
    For those of you not old enough to remember, viewing HD programs is exactly what it was like back in the late 60's with color programming. Many programs were still B/W and the program would have to be definately worth watching for you to take the time to see it. However, if a program was in color, you would watch it, no matter how bad it was. Its the same now with HD. I find myself watching programs in HD that I would never have watched in SD.

I suppose in a couple more years it will settle back to the usual, as by then (hopefully) most programs will be HD.

By the way, I have a 57" Toshiba HD set - HD is awesome on it.