1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hard is it to position a 5lnb dish ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by lowspeed, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowspeed

lowspeed AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    I already have an old 3lnb dish, which i positioned myself, wasn't to hard to find the sweet spot (according to the receivers directions)

Is it possible to position the 5lnb by yourself ? or do you really need some crazy sophisticated signal meter ?

I'm thinking of just doing it myself. (but i saw this video on the dish and it seems much more complex)

--

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  3. lowspeed

lowspeed AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    As far as hardware do i need anything else but the new dish and h20 ? (i ordered both off ebay... the seller reassured me that the box is owned.... )

This will work in conjunction with regular receivers.

Thanks.

4. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    nope... not unless you have a multiswitch... it may need to be changed out....

and yes it will work w/ regular receivers...

5. NCMAT

NCMAT Godfather

Feb 12, 2007
    I have done it myself and it is actually easier than the video would lead you to believe. I think it was made before there signals available on 99 and 103.

All you need to do is peek it for 101, fine tune your tilt for 119. Then go back and fine tune the azimuth and elevation for 103.

I have done this several times using the signal strength meter on the receiver. I have a spare coax run to the dish so that I can feed video out of the receiver in the house into the AV input of a small LCD TV that I take out to the dish. You can always use a cell or cordless phone and have someone else watch the signal strength meter for you.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    By the way, if you're getting an H20 then DirecTV will provide free installation of the 5-LNB dish.

7. lowspeed

lowspeed AllStar

Oct 8, 2007

I want to install the dish in a 2nd location. (vacation house)

Thanks for the replies... Hopefully i have enough skyline...

8. mexican-bum

mexican-bum "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

Feb 25, 2006
    They are very easy to point, and yes you can successfully point without meter, just have some one watch the signal levels as you adjust(cell phone works good), I promise you if you get 103(b) in the 90's all other sats will be in the 90's as well. Just MAKE SURE dish is plumb set tilt and elevation to what the receiver says per zip code. Do a course alignment until you get 80's on 101. Then tighten it down to the mast, now switch over to 103(b) will probably be in the 60's, then use the fine adjustment screws to adjust your azimuth(left to right) until you get it as high as you can get it(usually around 90). Tighten down azimuth bolts. Now fine tune the elevation with the fine adjustment screw. Get 103(b) around low to mid 90's or as high as you can get it. Now tighten down those bolts. Now 101 will be 95+, 110 will be 90+, 119 will be 95+ etc. Its really that easy. 103(b) is the hardest one to get good signal on so if you have it the others will fall in. No real need to adjust tilt if dish is plumb.

9. pappascw

pappascw Cool Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Got an install today but wanted to play with the dish and get it installed myself. Bought it off ebay to get pole mounted etc before installers came. Everything is good pole is plumb, ran copper center conductor 3ghz cable etc. Got banging signals on 101, 110 and 119. I borrowed a friends old h20 to test in case ur wondering. One thing I'm missing is those base band converters? Do I need those to show signal on those particular sats? If thats the case then I'm spinning wheels, may as well wait til installers get here..

Thanks!

10. bigref

bigref Legend

Sep 11, 2007
    You are spinning your wells without the BBC's

11. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    This is of course a "hypothetical" want because using receiver at a location other than where the account is assigned would be a violation of your service agreement.

12. lowspeed

lowspeed AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    Taking your home receiver when you go on vacation is violation of the terms ?

13. lowspeed

lowspeed AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    What are BBC's ? Do i need it for the install ?

14. tuff bob

tuff bob Icon

Mar 4, 2007
    yeah. Unless you get a SAT-GO. Not sure if that one is excepted from the requirements.

15. lowspeed

lowspeed AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    Well i replaced my 3lnb with the 5lnb and boy the dish is much bigger and heavier.

Good thing i had a cheap sat finder because the 30 degrees that the box called for was more like 20.

I'll probably have to fine tune it when i get the H20. (right now i use it with H10)

P.S are monopods absolutely necessary ? (i didn't get those)

16. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
  17. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    All depends on the winds in your area and how solidly the base is tied to solid lumber. Most of the time, they are pretty darned important.

Cheers,
    Tom

18. lowspeed

lowspeed AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    Sometimes we get 60-80mph winds. But the thing is attached to a 4x4 wood beam.

19. lowspeed

lowspeed AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    Just a follow up....

I mounted the 5lnb before getting the new capable receiver (H21)

to my surprise it was positioned correctly. No tweaking was necessary.

I think the bigger dish has better reception and tolerance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.