1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how hot can it get before it fries?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hoopsrgreat, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    My brother is a custom cabinet/home entertainment/ jack of all trades type of guy. This is his business. So we sit down and design an entertainment system that I wanted and could not just go and pick out.

It comes out pretty sweet, and one of the best things about it is this thing called a MAC system. It is a series of shelves sitting on a pullout swivel door that will allow you topull out your receiver and other gear on a shelf and turn it 90 degrees in either direction to reach all of your cables. It is enclosed and has a glass door. I installed a fan to move some air off of my fairly expensive receiver, but the hr20 which already runs darn hot is going to likely get a little hotter. So if this things just fries, I am assuming I will have no problems sending it back to D* for another one? I have the fan on my receiver cause it is mine.

Anyone have the hr20 enclosed and it is smoking hot? I am a little worried it will fry in a month or so.

Thanks

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    What temp readings are you seeing?

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Some body said awhile ago their's was running at 131 and it was OK. Mine runs at 125 to 129 and I have had no problems.

4. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I have 2 6" fans in the back of mine, cabnet run's around 90, hr20's at 127.. be carefull of heat from other components, I had to separate my onkyo from my hr's..

5. hdfan01

hdfan01 Legend

Feb 1, 2006
    Have had one of my HR20 in an enclosed E center with an exhaust fan for the main cpmpartment. The HR20 is at a steady 129 since I got it in October. Knock on wood, it has been 95% flawless. Been thinking of a chill mat though.......

6. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    how do I get the temp reading?

It is already seperated on its own shelf. I only have 3 components in my system. The Hr20, pioneer elite, and my dvd player, and all of them are seperated from each other.

Boy that was quick responses. Thanks

7. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Hold the info button on the remote for 3 seconds and the info screen will pop up.

8. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    menu>help&settings>setup> then push enter again, page down..

9. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    figured it out, but thanks for the response.

Internal temp is at 127.

As long as my pioneer stays cool thats my main concern, but it appears from reading others teamps that 127 is ok.

Thanks

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Would you mind posting some pics? Sounds like a pretty sweet entertainment system.

I would also recommend to your brother that he considers adding more fans/ventilation in future builds. Heat is no friend to electronics.

11. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    127 is about average, you should/will be fine.

12. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    Ill take some pictures and post them tomorrow.

We have holes drilled out in the back for ventilation and wiring, but no real way to have tons of air inside this mac system without a fan in the back.

13. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    With a temp of only 127, you don't need any fans.

14. tknopf

tknopf Mentor

Sep 12, 2004
    I have 2 HR20-100's and both have been running between 100-105 for the last couple of months since they were installed.

15. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yes. Not sure if it actually runs cooler, or if it's a difference in temp sensor or temp sensor location.

If the OP has a -100 with a temp reading of 127, then he absolutely needs a fan.

16. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    If you're concerned about heat, right now Office Max and Office Depot are each selling the Targus Notebook Chill Pad for $19.99, and you can get it slightly cheaper at Staples if you have an Office Max or Office Depot circular, since Staples will do a 110% price match.

I added similar cooling pads to my HR20s and the temp went from 127° to 98° within an enclosed (but ventilated) cabinet.

17. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    This is not mine,but this was one he installed last week.

The stain glass windows came out of some other doors th people had. They wanted to use them so he built this unit and the put in the glass. To the left, the cabinet doors is actually a computer desk. These people wanted to put the computer into this thing and have it usable.

This thing came out pretty darn nice.

Attached Files:

18. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat Legend

Sep 4, 2006
  19. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007

Are people with the 100 using chill mats? If so, where is the best placement for them (specifically on the 100)? I just picked up an Antec with 2 fans.

I had done a search and a little reading on this topic, and it kind of insinuated there was no value to using a chill mat on the 100 because it had no vents on top. Just seeking current advice.

20. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Don't know if this will help, but I was told here on this site that it will reboot to try to avoid heat failure, and then in an extreme case it will shut down before it goes nuclear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.