1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I Met Your Mother 'Bad News' OAD - 1/03/11

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by cdc101, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Jan 3, 2011 #1 of 28
    cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    'Wow' is all I can muster right now. Great episode but...wow at the end.

2. Jan 3, 2011 #2 of 28
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Was a funny episode, but got way too "real" at the end. I admit, I got teary eyed because I lost my father back in June.

3. Jan 4, 2011 #3 of 28
    BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Be sure to watch for the countdown, starting at 50 on the doctor's desk. I caught all but 3 or 4.

4. Jan 4, 2011 #4 of 28
    BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Agreed. We love this show, but in my opinion it was a cheap gimmick and the shows writers, producers and actors should be ashamed. Anyone who has lost a loved-one, especially in a sudden manner like that, will never need any reminders, nor will they ever lose the pain. Their situation should have been given consideration over the "shock-value" of the ending.

5. Jan 4, 2011 #5 of 28
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Thanks for the heads-up. I have all the episodes recorded, but I think I'll delete them now (unwatched).

I just don't need this type of stuff in a comedy in my life right now.

6. Jan 4, 2011 #6 of 28
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Why delete them all because of the content of one episode? And this one episode isn't as bad as others are making it out to be, it's hilarious except for the last minute.

It's a great show and you'll be missing out on some comedy gold, IMO.

7. Jan 4, 2011 #7 of 28
    ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the episode. Its a comedy about real life events and peoples struggles, crap happens.

Sure it might upset people who lost a loved one, but it also might upset people who can't have a baby and this show is making a comedy about that. People need to look past their own personal problems and take this show for what it is, a show.

I hope some of you people don't watch South Park or the Family Guy.........

8. Jan 4, 2011 #8 of 28
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I didn't really care for the countdown personally. I caught it immediately... but found it distracting.

9. Jan 4, 2011 #9 of 28
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    - We caught the countdown immediately as well, and had fun trying to look for the numbers. Didn't find it distracting at all, and thought they found some really interesting ways to include them.

- As for the last scene.
    I lost my Dad in nearly a similar fashion about 5 years ago. Similar scenerio when I tried calling him, and didn't get an answer (which was weird) and found out about 3-4 hours later that he had died from a heart attack.

Yes, I got teary eyed as it reminded me of my dad... but I also felt HORRIBLE for the character's Marshal and Lily. As I know PERSONALLY how it feels for those people. Even thought they are just tv show characters, but they supposed to be people. And you are supposed to relate.

We felt bad for Barney when he found out about his Dad. We felt bad for Robin and her troubles, and Ted as well.

We watch SVU and other shows that have very similar shock values
    like a recent episode where two innocent young children were killed

It is a show, and we are grateful for that. But the reason why the great shows are great, is their fans can often relate to what is going on.

10. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Exactly what I was trying to say in my earlier post!

11. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Agreed. As someone who posted that it was "upsetting," it doesn't take away from how funny the show has been. I won't quit watching it by any means. It was just a shocking moment that caught me off guard.

12. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    The big problem I have is that it doesn't fit the show.
    It fits with shows like "Gray's Anatomy" or "CSI:Wherever" to present this sort of thing in the manner they did. I don't watch a show like "How I Met Your Mother" so I can follow "realistic" characters through their "real-life" struggles. I watch it because it's a well written, creative and entertaining comedy escape, much like Seinfeld was. So unless the plan is to change the style and content of the show, to me it was just a cheap gimmick and a low-blow.
    What's next? Will Lilly finally get pregnant only to have a traumatic mis-carriage? Maybe Marshall will blow his brains out and Ted will get Lilly pregnant in a grief stricken one-night stand...

Oh, and if anyone hasn't figured it out yet, Lilly is the mother. Never once has it been said that the narrator character Ted is the father, he just refers to them as "kids". So we have been listening to the story of how "Uncle Ted" met Lilly.

13. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005

First, that doesn't need to be a spoiler per the forum rules. This thread has a Title, and Episode date... so reading it implies that discussion of the contents of the show can be discussed.

Spoilers would be needed for Previews, and disucssions of other shows...

Anyway...

If you look at how the writing has gone for the last few years....
    Robin being seriously screwed over by Don... while not a death, it was a pretty emtional to the character... because she geniuenly chose love over her career.

Barney... and his struggles with finding his real dad and the dynamics of his life.

Lily and Marshal, they have definently made more humor of the not-having children then the serious nature of it... but then again, the humor at this point is that they are only a few months into trying... not 4-5 years. And when they broke up, in what at the time seemed to be a SERIOUS seperation...

Ted... being stood up at the alter...

It has been there... the show hasn't been all giggles since it's launch.

This by far has been the most serious one, and the manne which it was presented really added to the shock as 99% of the show was all humor up to that point...then bam. And to add, Marshall's dad was a warm and carring guy, and we really understood the releationship that the two of them had... (and yes, a tear is in my eye as it reminds me of my relationship with my dad)..

But that is what GOOD TV shows are about at times... we relate and understand these characters... Even though this is classified as a "sit-com", it doesn't and hasn't always been comedy all the time.

As to your second point, this goes in a spoiler tag:
    Not a chance. Those are not Lily's kids, they are going to be Ted's kids.
    If I recall, Lily has been refered to has Aunt Lily (as has Robin), and Uncle Marshal.

So unless Lily and Marshal are breaking up, and having kids with someone else.

Those are Ted's Kids, and I think at this point... the last scene of the last episode of the series, will be when we see a sceen with Ted, looking at a woman... and then a cut back to the kids, and he says "That is when I met your mother"

14. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    In response to the speculation about who the kids belong to - the narrator has definitely referred to "Aunt Lily" and "Uncle Marshall."

15. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Also, Lily wasn't in the classroom Ted was incorrectly teaching in on his first day as a professor. She also didn't have the yellow umbrella. Also, the kids have referred to Bob Sagat's voice as Dad. Season 1 Pilot where he Sagat's voice to his "son" not to use the word smurfpenis on the first date. In season 1 episode 2 the daughter says: "Ohhhhh, Dad!", when he tells about his first date with Robin.

16. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    This, 1000 times. He refers to all of them as Aunt and Uncle, which clearly indicates these are his kids. There's also a "present" segment where they freak out at him and yell "DAAAAD!!"

I think it had to do with sex, and they got grossed out.

17. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Yup, exactly Tom.

Aunt Lilly, Uncle Marshall, Aunt Robin, and Uncle Barney have all been referenced too many times to count. Ted's the dad and I'm with Earl on how the ending is going to go.

18. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    I loved this episode all the way to the end. It reminded of M*A*S*H when they killed off Lieutenant Colonel Henry Blake very shocking and brought tears to my eyes. I did not notice the count down though. I saw the big #6 on the file towards the end but never made the connection. HIMYM is one of my fav shows and always has some sort of twist or turn which makes it diffrent from the average sitcom. I did notice that they Gave NPH a guest starring credit as Dr. Stangle. Thought that was cool for some reason.

19. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    The ending of this episode was a huge departure from the way the show has scripted any "serious moments" in past episodes. If this were a comedy in the same vein as M*A*S*H or SOAP were these type of traumatic events are intertwined with the comedy it would be different. Like I said, to me it was insulting and cheap and had no place in this show, but that's just me. If it was a one-time thing and they move on from it, great, if not they have lost one viewer.

I could be wrong about the kids thing...

20. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Everybody raves about Barney for some reason, but that character is the biggest reason I lost interest in watching. The 'too full of himself' bit gets old after a few episodes.