1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How important is 72.5

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by crpeck, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crpeck

crpeck Cool Member

Oct 3, 2007
    I'm doing a quick & dirty site survey for the upcoming install of a slimline lnb5 dish to replace my 3lnb dish. It worked out that today fits the "use the Sun" as a finder day. So far I look pretty good, except for the Sat at 72.5, which is behind the top branches of a tree in my front yard. Currently it looks like that is used for locals, and, I'm not in the local area it serves (obviously, since I get locals fine). So the question is - is there anything else of importance slated to go on the sat at that location? If so, can I simply add another dish and "merge" the two together? I have a spot where it clear to see that sat, but, i won't be able to see the other ones.
    Am I "screwed", or, doesn't 72.5 really matter?
    thanks

2. krock918316

krock918316 Hall Of Fame

Mar 5, 2007
    72.5 is only used in about 30 markets for their local channels in SD (I don't know which markets though). Hope this helps.

3. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
  4. Terry K

Terry K Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/directvusa72.html will answer your question as to what's on that bird.

well, if your 72.5 dish is in a different place, the multiswitch they provide for the slimline will get you around this problem.

Also, if your locals are on that dish, I suggest using the OTA capability of the H20/HR20 to accomplish off-air HD for free.

5. crpeck

crpeck Cool Member

Oct 3, 2007
    I'm safe for SD locals, we're on 119. I'm just worried about the possibility of D* either moving stations, or placing new HD stations, or, worse yet, putting our (Norfolk, VA) local HD's on that Sat. I'm using OTA for local HD's now, which works most of the time - I'm about 30-40 miles from Norfolk, which is where most of the local stations originate.

Hope the installer doesn't care about it :)

Thanks for the quick feedback - I've got until 11/7 until my install date (hoping they don't un-schedule me again).

6. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Trust me. Nothing new is going on the 72.5.

7. bt-rtp

bt-rtp Icon

Dec 29, 2005

Correct, it is only used to:

1.) Provide locals to very specific locations. Even if you had the antenna and it was aligned to 72 correctly and was passing signal to the multi-switch, DirecTV would not enable those stations for you unless you were in the DMA for the stations.

2.) Some amount of international programming. You pay extra for it.

8. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    The lease contract on 72.5 is up within 12 months. They have to get everything off of 72.5.

- Craig

9. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Someone at Scotts site published notes from a conf call where it was mentioned that D* will start installing AT-9 dishs in the 72.5 markets and will start migrating the SD local channels to the Ka birds so it looks like 72.5 will be going away sooner then later.

10. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006

Nah, that's galaxy 3C at 95 degrees W.

11. Terry K

Terry K Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    This poses a major problem in some markets. Not only are they going to have to the KA dish, but send everyone to H(R)20/21 boxes to get locals.

12. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    At least it is consistant with D*'s over all game plan.

13. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    IIRC, you need the Ka/MPEG4 boxes to get the SD locals up in Alaska so they've done it before.

14. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    It was posted here as well... but it was removed as it is confidential internal documents, not to be shared with the public...

It is no "surprise" that the 72.5 is going away... as it has been known for a while actually.

15. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Why would that be a major problem?

That market will be that much farther along in the conversion to all mp4 (granted, that is waaaaaaaay off in the future).

They will be getting HR20/21s instead of the R15/16s, for what I'm assuming no added cost. So they are going to get twice the recording space and better reliability.

They also are set for a very easy "upgrade" to HD. Just replace the TV and change programming packages.

It would not surprise me at all that when the 3rd gen KA/KU dish shows up that it becomes part of the standard install instead of the basic 18".

16. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Would that be with embedded SWM?

17. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006

Mums the word. ;) :)

18. dkouz

dkouz AllStar

May 5, 2007
    That started last week. All new installs here are with a AU-9 and a 18" for the 72.5. Everyone that signs up from now on will have to deal with 'converting' to KaKu dishes and receivers since they will be in contract when D* makes the change. D* will be very busy in these parts next year.

19. ebockelman

ebockelman Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    I wouldn't like that at all. It would make it harder to support larger installations and legacy eqipment. (Unless they had 5 connections coming off, 1 SWM and the classic 4 that are there now. That way you could bring either or both into the house.)

20. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Although RobertE says, "Mums the word" it should be seamless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.