1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How long after signing up for service plan before you can make an appt?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by fudpucker, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1 of 36
    fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    One of my receivers (a 612) started having occasional freezing issues, so I signed up for the service plan a couple of days ago. Last night it was completely frozen, and when I did reboots and unplugged it and plugged it back in, I'd get the update bar but it would sit at the first bar, maybe eventually make it to the second bar, but never actually get reception. Kept trying, and it eventually got reception but then the picture would freeze and never "un-freeze."

So - since I just signed up for the service plan, how long do I have to wait before they will honor it? Do I need to wait for a billing cycle (I haven't yet paid a bill with the new service plan charge on it?))

Thanks

2. Sep 5, 2012 #2 of 36
    puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    On Dish, the service plan is in effect as soon as you add it. No waiting period.

3. Sep 5, 2012 #3 of 36
    Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    Please PM me your account number so I can assist you further. I can send you a replacement receiver or schedule a technician. Please let me know. Thanks.

4. Sep 5, 2012 #4 of 36
    fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Ray, thanks very much for your proactive offer to help. PMed my info.

5. Sep 6, 2012 #5 of 36
    coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Yeah, there's no 'pre-existing condition' clause on the Protection Plan. In fact, you can call in with a problem, add it and get covered to resolve the issue on the same call.

6. Sep 7, 2012 #6 of 36
    quizzer

quizzer Icon

Aug 29, 2006
    Is there a minimum time period to keep the protection plan after you add it during the problem call?

7. Sep 7, 2012 #7 of 36
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "A programming change fee of $25 is applied when you remove Protection Plan within 5 months of adding to your account."

Remove it at will ... just pay the fine if you don't wait 5 months (@ $7 per month).

8. Sep 8, 2012 #8 of 36
    tymekeeper

tymekeeper Legend

Jan 11, 2008
    I think it only costs $15 to have a new receiver shipped and that included return label.

9. Sep 8, 2012 #9 of 36
    coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    4 months, not 5.

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    5 months per DISH's web site.

11. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    I think you are saying the same thing James 5 months including the month you sign up Coldsteel 4 months in the future. Either way 4 mo. at $7/mo. is $28 so the penalty is really cheaper than staying unless you feel you need the service plan active.:):):)

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    When one adds and cancels the Protection Plan is it pro-rated by the number of days in the billing cycle (as programming packages and receivers are pro-rated)? Or is one required to subscribe by the full month for $7?

I am thinking of the person who calls in for repair, adds the service plan on that call. Gets the service. And as soon as the service is billed at the protection plan rate cancels the plan. That may not be a full $7 month. And the way I read the penalty, it is applied if the plan is not kept five months. So if I added it today (September 9th) I would not be able to cancel without penalty until February 9th (or perhaps February 10th if the 9th is counted as being within five months).

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I do not think there is a proration for the protection plan. I have used it in the past, I'm not currently on it.

14. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I have used it in the past and immediately cancelled, it was prorated.

Todays policy may differ.

15. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Per the information I see on a daily basis, it's 4 months. Also the monthly cost of the Pro Plan IS prorated from the day it is added. Always has. Jim, doing that now will incur a $25 fee.

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    So at what point can one cancel without the $25 fee? Five months after signing up (as stated by DISH) or four months after signing up?

If I signed up today (September 9th) could I cancel on January 10th without the penalty or would I have to wait until February 10th? Or another date?

If it is January 10th then one might as well let the protection plan ride in case their are other problems. The savings of paying a pro-rated few days of protection plus $25 for cancelling over paying $28 for four months isn't much. But if one would need to wait until February 10th to avoid penalty then cancelling before some day in October would work out cheaper.

17. quizzer

quizzer Icon

Aug 29, 2006
    Can DIRT clarify?

18. RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    I am always happy to clear the air.

Customers who remove the Protection Plan within 120 days of adding it will have a $25 Programming Change Fee added to their account.

19. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    Timely thread for me...I may add it soon, my 722k started locking up last night and has done so 3 times since-a couple times with 'boot recover do not disturb' message

So far it's come back to life each time, but the future may be disturbing LOL

20. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    IIRC, exchange for a dead receiver is only $15 shipping for return of old uniot, cgheaper than having to sub to DHA for 4 months.

DHA is only indicated if a $95 tech site visit is needed.