1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long can I keep the movies...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by JerryElbow, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryElbow

JerryElbow Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    During the "free preview" of the MGM HD channel, I recorded a couple of movies (such as From Russia With Love and Goldfinger) that I just haven't gotten around to watching. Are shows from the HD-Extra (or whatever it's called) tier flagged in any way that would prevent me from watching them at some arbitrary point in the future? How about movies from the premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc.?

2. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    On my HR20, movies on those channels are kept as long as either you don't delete them or the hard drive has enough space and doesn't start deleting old content you haven't marked to keep. I believe the only time restrictions for content are on PPV and VOD. I have had shows/movies I've recorded on HDNet and the premiums for close to a year.

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Movies recorded on MGM, HBO, SHO, etc stay on your DVR as long as you want them to with no expiration.

Movies from PPV have an expiration date, normally 30 days, until you watch them. Once you watch them, or just start the recording, the expiration date is lifted and you can keep the recording as long as you wish. This is also the point where you are charged for the PPV.

4. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Really?! I have Wild Hogs that I PPV and recorded, I never have watched it yet. They charged me for it then, it is still on my DVR. I intend to watch it soon and I have it marked as Keep, but I don't recall an expiration date or anything associated with having to pay again. Perhaps these are two different ways for PPV? This was an HD version prior to the recent HD PPV additions, maybe something has changed?

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes, there are two (or more) ways to pay for PPV. Basically you can record it blind without paying until you watch or watch (and record) and pay when you first watch.

Cheers,
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.