1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How long can I waite to ativate new receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bflora, Nov 20, 2012.

1. bflora

bflora Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    I ordered a new dvr to replace a hr10 that was constantly rebooting. It now appears it was a d* problem with D*Tivos and that I probably don't need the new dvr. I can return it but would have to pay shipping cost and I really wouldn't mind keeping the new dvr for later use since I have several older receivers. Is there any time limit on how long I can keep a new dvr without activating it?

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I believe it is supposed to be activated within 30 days. I do not know what happens if you don't, or whether or not you would be able to activate it in the future.

3. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    There's a non activation fee.

OP you won't pay D&H you can either refuse the shipment or call DIRECTV and they can send you a label.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The replacement receiver MUST be used to replace the receiver in question, failure to do so, will result in charges to your account.

5. bflora

bflora Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    I ordered the new receiver from an online retailer. They have returns on receivers for 14 days as long as it's not activated and in original packaging. I would have to pay shipping.

6. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    You should keep the newer DVR.
    You are loosing a lot of available programming with that HR10. It only can decode MPG2 transmissions. Not, the newest MPG4 HD programming.

7. Steveb_77

Steveb_77 New Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yep, $150 is a lot of cash to pay for non-activation!

8. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    This fee is Directv reserving the right to charge you if you fail to activate a receiver.

I really think the non-activation fees are like unicorns... I have heard of them, but never actually seen them.